PDA

View Full Version : Help with planning...Please!

annemarie
21-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I have been Childminding since January and I'm not completely happy with my planning and would be grateful for any ideas or tips please!:)

jumpinjen
21-04-2012, 06:40 PM
What do you do at the moment? What doesn't work? How would you prefer it to work for you?

Jen x

annemarie
21-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I do a long term plan with a different topic each month, incorporating events etc within that month which I am happy with. I then do a weekly plan for all of the children relating to activities within the topic, based on each area of the eyfs, but I'm wondering if I am over complicating it, and should maybe focus on planning around our weekly routine?. And also if I should be doing some kind of plan for each child?. I always make sure I do activities which I know all the children like, but should I be recording individual plans for each child?. Or am I just over thinking it all!!!

missymood
21-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Watch the children and note what they like doing, then you can plan around the things they like. Ie if little one likes plaing in the kitchen you can plan to make some cakes with them. Just really expanded on what they like doing. Sarah e -books are great to help you out. :thumbsup:

melco
21-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I am having the same problem. I have been registered since Feb and have been childminding 2 boys from March for only 4 hours a week. Have not put any planning together but have been writing lots of notes, what they like doing, what they don't like doing, what they can and can't do. I also have lots of ideas in my head but just don't know to put this is my planning, observations and learning journal. I feel that if I get started I will suddenly find out that I am doing it all wrong. I would also like some advice please.

VeggieSausage
22-04-2012, 08:18 AM
I felt like this when I first started.

1. Get a folder!! front page with picture of child, date of birth, current date, learning journey for....
2. Put in info from parents such as their info sheet they filled in telling about what they like to eat, naps, etc, what they like to do
3. Stick in any obs you do eg Ben smiled when he saw mummy and pick up time....link it to an area of learning (stick an NCMA sticker on it or just write the initials of the area eg PSED) - could break it down into the development matter as well if you wanted but not necessary for each obs.
4. After 6 weeks of child starting - do a starting points assessment - A little write up on each area EG Ben is separates well from mum morning and seems settled here. He is can drink independently using a beaker and feed himself finger foods etc. (write next to them the age category you think they are in)
5. Then the same again for next steps and planning - make it short and brief
6. Every 6 weeks or term or whatever you want to do just do another overview of what the observations tell you about the child. This is your individual planning.
7. Share regularly with parents and ask them to write any comments or what he is doing at home etc, get them to sign adn date when they have seen it.

Can either separate your folder into each area or learning of just work through in one.

:)

annemarie
24-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the advice! :) I have a learning journal/scrap book for each child, so think I am on the right track, maybe I just need to be putting a bit more in them, and doing more obs. They also have a daily diary which I fill in when they are with me, and they take home. There is a section for parents to comment, but as yet no comments! I think I just need to find a way of planning my week and a format that suits me, then I am hoping it all slots into place! I was a nanny before I became a childminder and I now realise how easy my job was, lol!

laurendugdale22
24-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I try to keep everything as simple as possible, i use individual planning sheets that cover each area. I just follow on from previous observations and next steps. Like i did an observation on a mindee that he liked watching the bin mens van every thursday morning. so i planned for the next week a sort out of recycling materials and a trip to the recycling bins. I incorporate all the children in the activities if they want to and adapt them to suit ages. Planning is the best part of all the paperwork gets you all creative and making up fun activities for the little ones.:thumbsup: