PDA

View Full Version : Safety around the house

Agape Childcare
21-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi all

As my inspection looms nearer it seems I am questioning everything I'm doing. Please can someone tell me if I NEED to have socket covers and locks on kitchen cupboard doors. :panic: I don't have them currently and we've managed - all risk assessed etc.

I can't find the relevant requirements anywhere.

Thanks Ang

rickysmiths
21-04-2012, 04:01 PM
No you don't and Ofsted don't expect to see socket covers any more.

However you do need robust RAs to show how you keep the children safe. I state that they do not have access to anything small enough to push into a socket and that there are no dangerous appliances, like a heater left out that a child could plug in and potentially hurt themselves.

I don't have socket covers but in my RA folder I have a copy of the information from the Fatally Flawed website and the info sheet from the Ofsted Web Site and the Policy from the free downloads on the forum.

www.fatallyflawed.co.uk

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloading/?file=documents/other-publications/e/Early%20years%20September%202011.pdf&refer=1

The Ofsted info is important to have incase an inspector challenges you.

We had a new extension built two years ago and I was lucky enough to have a completely new kitchen, we converted our old sitting room!

I now have no under counter cupboards except the one under the sink and on in a corner which has our water softener in and a basket with all my kitchen towels and tea towels in. I have 12 large drawers instead, 4 in a row 3 deep.

I vowed I would not put any locks, clips or anything else on my new kitchen and I haven't. :laughing:

I am lucky enough to have a small Utility room as well so I don't keep any cleaning materials under the sink. I do have a self adhesive alarm on the door of this room.

Similar to this:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/gift-gadgets/door-alarm/10483990.html

I keep my Le Creuset casseroles and dishes under there! I have all my kitchen knives and scissors in a huge Knife Block which sits out of reach at the back of my work surface.

I have all sorts in my drawers cereals, cooking ingredients in tupperware, china, saucepans, cake tins and baking sheets, basins, basins for cooking, cutters, sieves, jugs, etc etc.

I just state in my RA that the children will never be left unsupervised in the kitchen.

I was inspected in Sept last year with the above in place and I got an Outstanding grand in the area for keeping children safe.

sarah707
21-04-2012, 04:09 PM
The requirement is that you keep children safe - how you do that is between you and your risk assessments.

Good luck with your inspection :D

Agape Childcare
21-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Thank you ladies very helpful, I think I'm a bit like you Rickysmiths (my kitchen is the way I like it) it's mine and I really didn't want to ruin it with locks and things. I like the alarm. Sadly they are out but i'll check else where. Will include the information from the Ofsted site confirms what you suggest Sarah, thanks. The fact sheet looks was very informative as well.

Thank you....back to the RAs then I guess. :) Sounds like they are the most essential part. But hey are so time consuming.

Agape Childcare
21-04-2012, 10:03 PM
The requirement is that you keep children safe - how you do that is between you and your risk assessments.

Good luck with your inspection :D

Thanks Sarah, will be praying! :littleangel: