PDA

View Full Version : Parent taking the ****?

migimoo
21-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I registered in Oct and at the time agreed to accept a 14mnth old on a temporary contract as mum wasn't working regular hours and I wanted to get established as a CM....6 months on and I am nearly full,mum was given a permanent contract a week ago now to fill in as firmly told her that she needs to fill it in even though she still doesn't work set hours as i'm turning down work for her(some weeks i have her 26 hours,other weeks 6 hours!) She's been told i'm going to invoice her next week for May and will average out invoice to 10 hours per week then she can pay if she goes over at end of month...don't think she actually understands what i'm on about tho!

Thinking about it today tho she is actually using up a full time space as I never know what days/times i'm having the LO til Sunday evening-I have a new mum coming for a chat Monday but as it stands i'm going to have to either tell this new mum I only have spaces on Mon and Tue or tell the other,established mum the same,but her LO is so settled here now and cries when mum takes her,we love her to bits.

I've got myself into a right mess and my brain aches!!

Bridey
21-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't think you can say the parent is taking the ****, she's a shift worker with an irregular pattern of work.

If she doesn't understand what you were saying to her then you need to explain it in writing... that, as she is using a full child's childminding space, you will be charging a minimum number of hours a week whether she uses them or not. Any hours worked per week over this minimum will be added to the next month's invoice. You also need to establish that you receive her working pattern as soon as she does.

At the end of the day, it is up to you whether you want to continue this arrangement or take on a full time child instead. If you are happy to continue and can afford to do so then fantastic. If you are stuggling to survive then you may need to look for a family offering you more hours.

migimoo
21-04-2012, 11:26 AM
The main reason the hours vary so much is that she asks me to have the LO only when dad/friends can't have her not because she's a shift worker.

caz3007
21-04-2012, 11:44 AM
I have worked with shift workers before and agreed a minimum hours that has to be paid each week and like Bridey says, all hours over that are paid on next invoice and it was agreed when I would have the shifts by. You need to make it work with what you are happy with, but if you dont want to lose a full time space, then you are going to have to tell mum

rickysmiths
21-04-2012, 11:55 AM
The main reason the hours vary so much is that she asks me to have the LO only when dad/friends can't have her not because she's a shift worker.

In that case if the new parent wants more full and regular hours I would give notice to the mum who clearly wants the best of both worlds. You are running a business not a charity drop in service for her to use as and when unless you have vacancies. Once they are full then ad hoc care will no longer be possible.

I have a lady coming to see me next week. She needs care for two days when she is moving house and then ad hoc care. I have been very clear that she is more than welcome to phone as and when but I will not always be able to help her.

Just a point. I never give a parent a Contract to take home and sign. I always make an appointment at my home or theirs and go and sign it with them and then I can talk thorough what is being signed for and both our responsibilities.

It is a legal document and what would you do if they returned it and had changed something, what if you didn't notice and signed it?

Bridey
21-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Aha, so you are losing money in order for her to save it? That does change things rather dramatically in my head! I would either charge a higher minimum weekly fee than 10 hours, which is very generous considering you are losing out on a potential 40 hours more a week, or be tempted to look for a full time child.

See what the mum you are about to interview is wanting. If she only wants a part time position but her hours are regular then you can go back to child A's parents and tell them that you are only available for *** hours on *** days and they will have to fit around your availability rather than the other way round.

The Juggler
21-04-2012, 12:24 PM

if that's the case then call her in for a proper chat and explian things properly. Tell her that you could be flexible when you started as you had no other children. Now you are fitting children in where you have spaces and need to know what those spaces are.

Tell her you will no longer work without a contract and you need to agree on min. hours and days per week and if she's working around other ad-hoc care she'll have to try to fix the days so you can fill the vacancies around it.:thumbsup:

blue bear
21-04-2012, 01:53 PM
What sort of contract do you have now? Is it just ad hoc where she rings and see if places are available or is it a full contract with no set hours?

If its ad hoc you are free to fill the places and mum takes pot luck on what you might have available at short notice.

If its a full contract with no set hours you will need to re negotiate to minimum hours or give notice and offer an ad hoc arrangement.

You need to be straight with mum and also put in writing And get mum to sign to say she understands.

Goatgirl
21-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi Migimoo :),
Its so easy to find yourself in this kind of position as a childminder, especially when you're starting out. I have made my fair share of mistakes and still find myself almost saying "yes I can do that" to all sorts, but luckily am getting better at biting my tongue or saying " I'll have to have a think about it and get back to you", so you have my sympathies.

Anyway, I digress...

In your position I would advise you see the new Mum so you have a better idea of how things sit, then contact current Mum directly (by phone or ask her to come round for a chat about the contract details). Then you need to tell her you have been turning work away for a while now and although you were happy to work as you are, it was always on a temporary basis and now the time has come when you need to firm things up and sort out the best way to go forward for your business. We can't pay the bills with love unfortunately....

It may be that she'll want to go to ad hoc hours (if you're available, at a higher hourly rate) or she may be willing to commit to set days and times and pay you for them regardless. Whatever you decide, write it down; maybe some options to think about and discuss again in a few days time if there's alot to consider.... Then I'd go through whatever you have agreed again as you fill in the contract ask her to read through and both sign it.

She's probably not thinking about it in terms of your business; Just trying to save some cash for her family. Nothing wrong with that, but you need to earn money and if this arrangement is leaving you short financially you need to find a way to get things back in to balance. Don't feel bad about it, we all need to do what's best for our own family :).

You need to put your business head on. Its a bit nerve racking at first but you'll get better at it. Good luck and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

migimoo
22-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks so much ladies...I think you've all summed up the problem-i've been too soft and turning business away as I don't want to lose the child but I need to put MY family and business first.
If the new mum that's coming tomorrow decides to come to me then I will ask the 'old' mum to stay behind on pick up Tuesday and explain that from now on I will only be able to have her LO if i have a space on that day and why.
I have explained to her several times that she is using a full time space but for an educated lady she doesn't seem to quite get it (or pretends not to!)
Fingers crossed my run of luck continues tomorrow with this new LO...all of the mindees I have at present are fab!

It's really hard to seperate yourself isn't it? We would never stop ourselves from loving a child in our care but the thought of one of them leaving me breaks my heart!

Chimps Childminding
22-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Hope it goes well tomorrow!!!

I really don't think some parents realise quite how a childminder works, and how restricted we are with numbers :rolleyes:

I have a parent who uses 2 days a week, but I need to keep 3 days open as the days vary! I have been happy to just charge for the 2 days up till now, but DH has now been made redundant and if I have someone looking for a full time space I am going to have to ask mum either to pay a retainer for the 3rd day or have 2 fixed days - it is a business after all :rolleyes:

migimoo
23-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Well the new mum came to visit today but must say wasn't too keen-LO was adorable but mum seemed very snooty and asked loads of questions about seemingly irrelevant things whilst barely glancing at my policies and procedures book and kept asking over and over if I would ever leave the children on their own....erm,NO!She was very impressed that i could speak a little polish tho(childs 1st language polish):blush:
Oh,and left saying "well I have 3 other childminders to see anyway"....TBH i won't be too upset if i get no follow up from that one,think mum would be a PITA!:panic:

10 mins after her leaving I got a call from a lovely sounding lady in my area who is looking for before and after school care for her LO plus full time in hols...'great!' thinks me...."oh but i'd need you to have him from 5:30 am will that be a problem?"......am gonna have to think hard about this one i think as that would mean 12 hour day for me which even tho I would be getting 2 and half hours 'out of hours' rate may kill me:eek:

BucksCM
23-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Well the new mum came to visit today but must say wasn't too keen-LO was adorable but mum seemed very snooty and asked loads of questions about seemingly irrelevant things whilst barely glancing at my policies and procedures book and kept asking over and over if I would ever leave the children on their own....erm,NO!She was very impressed that i could speak a little polish tho(childs 1st language polish):blush:
Oh,and left saying "well I have 3 other childminders to see anyway"....TBH i won't be too upset if i get no follow up from that one,think mum would be a PITA!:panic:

10 mins after her leaving I got a call from a lovely sounding lady in my area who is looking for before and after school care for her LO plus full time in hols...'great!' thinks me...."oh but i'd need you to have him from 5:30 am will that be a problem?"......am gonna have to think hard about this one i think as that would mean 12 hour day for me which even tho I would be getting 2 and half hours 'out of hours' rate may kill me:eek:

Oh my...5.30AM...thought about it...NO!!!!!!
I couldn't do it:panic:

Twinkles
23-04-2012, 09:04 PM
5.30 !!! :eek: is she freakin' kidding ??

Poor kid will have to get up at 5am at the latest !

pinkbutterfly
24-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a child who used to come at 5.30 am regularly and I tell you ... it killed me. I suggested the parent brings her after she's bathed her the evening before (I'm registered for overnight care) at no extra charge. I charge her from 5.30 am the little one doesn't wake till 7am. 5.30am will be a nightmare for you and the child.

danielly124
24-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I have a mindee that comes at 5am before school most days and in the holidays mindee comes from 5am till 7pm long days it is a long day and I'm very tired by the end but if it's a contract u want take it xx

migimoo
28-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Well the 5:30 am lady rang whilst I was away with my husband and according to my mum seemed under the impression that we are all systems go...think we need to nip this in the bud,problem is she's lovely to chat to but talks 10 to the dozen and don't think she listens well-eeek!!:D

I would also be caring for the LO after school aswel until 5:30 which makes me think when does she actually see this child as he must have to go to bed as soon as he gets home to be up for 5am?she also asked if I would have him weekends but I said no!

She's even on about changing his school to my sons as one excuse i gave was that it would be too difficult to drop off at both schools....just need to man up and say no!!

Ripeberry
28-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Some parents need to take a long hard look at their working lives and ask themselves.....WHY AM I DOING THIS? Most seem to carry on as if they don't have children.
Yes, OK they need money...but seriously..at the expense of interaction with their children? :(

Tealady
28-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Some parents need to take a long hard look at their working lives and ask themselves.....WHY AM I DOING THIS? Most seem to carry on as if they don't have children.Yes, OK they need money...but seriously..at the expense of interaction with their children? :(

That's quite judgemental!

These are difficult times. Job security is poor. You have to be seen as being a team player. Whilst companies are legally obliged to consider family friendly working they don't actually have to give it. Jobs are scarse so even if you do manage to find another job you need to get your feet under the table before you can ask for concessions. People still have to keep a roof over their head and money worries don't make for a happy home.

One of my Mums has said she could reduce her hours but she would still be expected to do the same amount of work in reality but end up not being paid for it and therefore working at home when she could be interacting with her child.

We are lucky that our job allows us to be around for our children. Not everybody can.

migimoo
28-04-2012, 12:47 PM
We are lucky that our job allows us to be around for our children. Not everybody can.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree-that's the main reason that i became a childminder...i looked at my kids one day and realised they were 8 and 12 and i was paying to put them in childcare so i could work looking after other peoples children (nursery) :panic:

I can see both sides though,it's so easy to get caught up in a demanding job-a friend of mine threatened her hubby with a divorce as their kids were so unhappy at never seeing him due to his long hours and stressful job,he thought he was being a good dad by earning as much as he could so they had a nice house/car/clothes-a year on he earns approx half his salary but is home for tea every night and can take the girls to school some days,sure money is tight but he says his girls running to greet him every night screaming 'daddy's home!!!!' makes him realise he did the right thing.:clapping:

migimoo
30-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Right-not heard from 5:30am mum since she spoke to my mum on Friday so half hoping she is waiting for me to call her and won't ring me-i don't have her number(i'm such a wimp!)

Original 'messing about' mum has arrived with LO today and 40 hours fees for May-she filled in her section of contract she says but forgot it in rush today and if she goes over those 40 hours then i will add it to next months invoice....she's also been applying for 9-5 jobs so that LO won't be left here,there and everywhere and hopefully come to me full time-woo hoo!!!

migimoo
20-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Well we've carried on hobbling along in the same old manner for the last few months and when i invoiced her at the end of last month it all kicked off....she insisted she hadn't done that many hours and i'd overcharged by nearly £200...i sweetly replied that by law(!)i keep a daily register for all children which is on display at all times and would she like copies?
When she came the next time she said she'd JUST looked at my fees policy(which she's had from day 1) and can't believe i charge for meals and out of hours (£6 before 8am and after 6pm)
Then came the classic "my friend's childminder only charges £3 and that includes food,nappies and out of hours-I'll be looking to move her asap...you charge far too much!" (i charge £3.75ph with no minimum hours which i think is v reasonable)
Well to say i'm upset is putting it mildly-i have bent over backwards to help her out and LO has just started saying my name and asking for me and we all love her so much,hubby says i get too involved but i don't think we can do this job as well if we don't love the kids!

Pipsqueak
20-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Well we've carried on hobbling along in the same old manner for the last few months and when i invoiced her at the end of last month it all kicked off....she insisted she hadn't done that many hours and i'd overcharged by nearly £200...i sweetly replied that by law(!)i keep a daily register for all children which is on display at all times and would she like copies?
When she came the next time she said she'd JUST looked at my fees policy(which she's had from day 1) and can't believe i charge for meals and out of hours (£6 before 8am and after 6pm)
Then came the classic "my friend's childminder only charges £3 and that includes food,nappies and out of hours-I'll be looking to move her asap...you charge far too much!" (i charge £3.75ph with no minimum hours which i think is v reasonable)
Well to say i'm upset is putting it mildly-i have bent over backwards to help her out and LO has just started saying my name and asking for me and we all love her so much,hubby says i get too involved but i don't think we can do this job as well if we don't love the kids!

All tha you describe is ignorance and rudeness. don't you DARE be upset by that.
I think its time to serve notice on the client - for your own peace of mind and find a family that NEED and WANT you

Bridey
20-06-2012, 12:00 PM
How dare she treat you like this. I know you love the child but you absolutely should not be putting up with being spoken to in this way. She would be getting notice from me today. There are fabulous parents out there - she isn't one of them.

migimoo
20-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Thank you pipsqueak...i was starting to think i was in the wrong profession as i'm a big softy but over the last week it's more "i'm a ****** great childminder i am!!!" due to comments from everyone else.
at the end of this month (she owes me money to be paid on the 28th and i don't want her vanishing) i am moving her onto a week by week contract and advising her to step up her search for a new nursery/childminder as i am now advertising the space and if i fill it she will only get a week's notice:rolleyes:
...my daughter says it sounds like she was trying it on to pay less-sorry love but that's backfired hasn't it!!:laughing:
This is how cheeky she is-told me 7am Monday morning i wasn't needed Monday after all as her friend was having LO instead to save her some money(her own words)-then got a txt at half 9 "my friend is stuck in town-can you have LO for half an hour til she gets there to pick her up?".....erm NO?!

Bananabrain
20-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Thank you pipsqueak...i was starting to think i was in the wrong profession as i'm a big softy but over the last week it's more "i'm a ****** great childminder i am!!!" due to comments from everyone else.
at the end of this month (she owes me money to be paid on the 28th and i don't want her vanishing) i am moving her onto a week by week contract and advising her to step up her search for a new nursery/childminder as i am now advertising the space and if i fill it she will only get a week's notice:rolleyes:
...my daughter says it sounds like she was trying it on to pay less-sorry love but that's backfired hasn't it!!:laughing:
This is how cheeky she is-told me 7am Monday morning i wasn't needed Monday after all as her friend was having LO instead to save her some money(her own words)-then got a txt at half 9 "my friend is stuck in town-can you have LO for half an hour til she gets there to pick her up?".....erm NO?!
Wow!
If it makes you feel any better, probably most of us on here have made 'mistakes' like this, being too soft etc.
Unfortunately, in this job, you learn the hard way!

WibbleWobble
20-06-2012, 12:18 PM

that is probably the best thing i have read on this forum.....it is quite something!

Bananabrain
20-06-2012, 12:23 PM
No Parsley, I disagree, the best one was the childminder who said she couldn't work a particular day because she was going to a funeral.
Mum was peeved.
Parent turned up at funeral expecting minder to take child.
That one still takes my breathe away:laughing:

WibbleWobble
20-06-2012, 12:26 PM
No Parsley, I disagree, the best one was the childminder who said she couldn't work a particular day because she was going to a funeral.
Mum was peeved.

oh forgot about that one.....hmmm...maybe the second best thing i have read on here......:laughing:

Bridey
20-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Mum was peeved.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bridey
20-06-2012, 01:25 PM

The weekly contract thing ... that's genius!

rickysmiths
20-06-2012, 01:55 PM

This is one of the reasons I have always got my parents to sign my register each week.

rickysmiths
20-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Mum was peeved.

God I missed that one. That family would have got instant notice from me. That is appalling.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

stargazer1
20-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Mum was peeved.

oh.my.goodness!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Donkey
20-06-2012, 05:51 PM

If someone had booked me for a day and then sent a text at 7am saying they were cancelling then I would have reminded them that it was too short notice and that they would be billed for the day anyway

time to get really tough!! if they book a day and there on a flexi contract then you now require 72 hours notice to make changes

:D

nikki thomson
20-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Mum was peeved.

I'm actually speechless. X

migimoo
21-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Kids dropped off by dad this morning who 'thought' she was collecting about 1pm, Txted her to double check and her reply was "i asked you to have the kids till dad finished work-i'm not even back in town til tonight" Dad finishes at 7pm and works 30 miles away and doesn't drive and we have a family meal planned for 6pm
I've txt back that she DID NOT tell me a finish time and as i've had them from 7am she always finishes at lunchtime on early shifts
She's apparently gone away for a spa break tho she can't afford to pay me the money she owes me!??
What do i do if she refuses to change the collection time??? My hubby's gonna go mental-he's already moaning about the fact i'm having them when she owes me money.

Mouse
21-06-2012, 11:37 AM
I hope you've managed to get this sorted and the children will be picked up very soon :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
21-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Mum was peeved.

that happened to me last August when my best friends mum passed :( although I don't remember posting about it, so gutted it happened to someone else to:(

M-moo get out of this one pleassssseeeee

windles
20-09-2012, 08:44 AM
I have just taken on a lovely 2 year old however his mum is driving me mad and im starting to think ive been taken for a complete mug. She called at the weekend asking about spaces and how much I charged etc. Anyway she came for an interview that evening and said she needed her son placed for Monday when I asked why she had left it so late she told me that the nursery he was with had a shortage of children and they had to raise their fees which she could not afford to pay. She also no longer qualifies for working tax credit. She somehow made me feel sorry for her and I dropped my fee. She then called the following morning to say she had a reaction after the interview to my pet cat so her son could not come. Monday evening she calls me at 8pm saying that she will live with the allergy and she wants her son to come to me after all she started the next morning. I then got a call saying that she will draw up contracts for us I put her straight and said she will have to sign my contracts. She came in last night again complaining about the allergy and ive told her she is not to come in the house we will hand over on the doorstep. This morning she pulled up outside my house while i was dealing with a parent she then pulled off in a huff because i didn't go running out to her and then complained she had to park the car across the road and walk her son over. I really do not know what to do I feel really stupid but I need some advice.

rickysmiths
20-09-2012, 09:04 AM
As she is in the four week settling in I would give her her marching orders she sounds like a total nightmare and the allergy issue would concern me as well.

I must sat in 18 years I have never had a parent say they will draw up the Contract. That's a first!!!

caz3007
20-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Dont let her treat you like that...moaning cos she had to park across the road. She is treating you like a servant especially the comment about drawing up the contracts.

I would get rid as the child is within the settling period. If she is allergic to your cat then cat hairs are bound to get on the child or childs things and can see this going pear shaped at some point.