PDA

View Full Version : Toy guns and swords

*Katrina*
21-04-2012, 11:00 AM
My DS (aged 6, nearly 7) is into army role-play and knight role-play BIG time. He has a soldier dressing up outfit and knights dressing up outfit, but alongside these he has a toy sword and several toy guns (hand gun, sniper rifle, nerf shooting thing). His birthday party last year was army & camouflage themed.
I was just sorting the toys out ready for Ofsted coming on Monday for my pre-reg visit and I wondered if I should put these ones away now? I don't want to deprive my son but I also don't want Ofsted thinking I promote violence or anything silly like that :panic:
I am considering maybe having these sorts of toys and ones he would like to keep for himself in a separate box, in his room, just for him.

Bridey
21-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I have always separated my son's 'special' toys from the childminding toys. Anything that may not be totally correct for childminding, anything that was his favourite - all got put in his bedroom. He very soon learnt that he only brought these toys downstairs when the children had gone home. These were toys he didn't have to share, they were special to him. His bedroom was never used for childminding - it is his special place, somewhere where he can escape to and have quiet time when having a houseful of children just got a little too much.

Notice how the word 'special' features a lot here? I think that was how I sold the idea to him!! ;)

FussyElmo
21-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Why should ofsted frown upon them - you child likes them and you are following his interests. You explain that you dont allow them shooting to kill etc. In my toy storage I have a weapons box and I dont move it but the children know the rules. At the min my ds 5 likes to be Dead Pool. I am actually considering an archery kit for outside :)

rickysmiths
21-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I must say I have never had guns at all for my son or mindees. My son had a sword but it was kept in his room and never comes out when mindees are here.

They will pick up sticks when we are on walks etc and go 'Bang, bang' but I have never had a problem not having them or felt the need to have them and I prefer it that way.

pinkbutterfly
21-04-2012, 11:16 PM
I always wondered about toy guns and such but as I had 2 daughters and my son wasn't old enough I was very much against. I have changed my mind now as my son is older and I have a range of foam swords they play with. My son is very much into dragons and he used to say he's is going to kill the dragon with his sword. I corrected him every time saying that we were going to scare the dragon away not kill it and that swords are for protection. Tbh if I take the swords away (which I have tried in the past) he just makes one using building blocks or brings a stick from the garden and hides it somewhere indoors when I am not looking. I would rather he played with foam swords than run around with a stick or a self made lego sword as he may hurt himelf or somebody else with it. He's coming up to 3 btw. I see nothing wrong with toy weapons as long as the play is supervised so it doesn't get out of control. My friend has a 5 yo son who has some toy army knives and I have seen him pretend cutting dolls' throats which I found very disturbing (he has a much older brother who plays video games so I guess that is where he's seen this). I will not be putting the swords away when Ofsted comes.

Helen Dempster
22-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I attended a brilliant conference recently, and one of the key speakers was a guy called Alistair Bryce-Clegg (Google him, or find him on FB). He completely changed my view on guns/swords etc (I was dead against them prior to this). He knew he couldn't stop the boys (and some girls) playing with make believe guns etc, so turned it round into a learning opportunity. One of the things he suggested was to make targets - for example a number line - and get the kids to 'shoot' the number he called out (good for water guns and nerf guns). He also had a box full of foam swords but the kids had to have training in 'sword fighting' - you know, the old fashioned "on guard" type thing. Once they'd passed they were awarded a certificate. They weren't allowed to hit each other and be aggressive - if they were, they had to go on a 'refresher course'. I thought that was brilliant! Another thing he did was to use a light saber to teach letters/numbers by drawing them in the air (but in a Star Wars type fashion).

He turned something negative into a positive. Look him up and maybe you can quote some of his work to Ofsted should they question you.

I don't think you should take your son's toy guns away, as long as you have control over this kind of play.

francinejayne
22-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I attended a brilliant conference recently, and one of the key speakers was a guy called Alistair Bryce-Clegg (Google him, or find him on FB). He completely changed my view on guns/swords etc (I was dead against them prior to this). He knew he couldn't stop the boys (and some girls) playing with make believe guns etc, so turned it round into a learning opportunity. One of the things he suggested was to make targets - for example a number line - and get the kids to 'shoot' the number he called out (good for water guns and nerf guns). He also had a box full of foam swords but the kids had to have training in 'sword fighting' - you know, the old fashioned "on guard" type thing. Once they'd passed they were awarded a certificate. They weren't allowed to hit each other and be aggressive - if they were, they had to go on a 'refresher course'. I thought that was brilliant! Another thing he did was to use a light saber to teach letters/numbers by drawing them in the air (but in a Star Wars type fashion).

He turned something negative into a positive. Look him up and maybe you can quote some of his work to Ofsted should they question you.

I don't think you should take your son's toy guns away, as long as you have control over this kind of play.

Fabulous post - I couldn't agree more! Off to google Alistair! Thank you

BucksCM
22-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I must say I have never had guns at all for my son or mindees. My son had a sword but it was kept in his room and never comes out when mindees are here.

They will pick up sticks when we are on walks etc and go 'Bang, bang' but I have never had a problem not having them or felt the need to have them and I prefer it that way.

Same here!:D
I realise that they will make them with consruction toys or use sticks...but I discourage it.
Had a mindee turn up once with a gun...sent it home with mum....explained that I don't alow them in my house.
Little boys (and some girls)do not need to run around trying to kill each other in my house. End of. I'm not appologising to anyone for my feelings on this one.

PixiePetal
22-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Same here!:D
I realise that they will make them with consruction toys or use sticks...but I discourage it.
Had a mindee turn up once with a gun...sent it home with mum....explained that I don't alow them in my house.
Little boys (and some girls)do not need to run around trying to kill each other in my house. End of. I'm not appologising to anyone for my feelings on this one.

me too. My DH has guns (he is a farmer and all legal and locked away) so guns have never been encouraged as a plaything.

My opinion and each to their own I guess