PDA

View Full Version : teaching to chew

mama2three
20-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a just 2yr old mindee who is a nibbler. She takes tiny tiny nibbles of food , even soft foods such as mash she nibbles a tiny amount off the fork / spoon. She seems comletely unable to cope with a mouthful of food , and cannot 'masticate' once there is food in her mouth. she cant tolerate even things such as yoghurt where she would have a spoonful in at once.
Not even sure if I should be concerned or just let her get on with it. She takes an age to eat anything! Ive sat next to her and overdone the chewing action repeatedly but its not making a jot of difference.
Her speech is amazing btw so Im not worried about the muscle development affecting her speech.

Katiekoo
20-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I had one of these quite recently, they just would not open their mouth wide enough to get any more than the tip of the spoon in, even a tiny weaning spoon!!! Once the mouth was full, the cheeks bursting with food the lo would sit for a bit and then spit it all out! :rolleyes: It drove me potty waiting for this lo to eat! I did the exaggerated chewing motion too :thumbsup: and also said and demonstrated 'open wide' a lot. My lo just 'got it' one day, and didn't look back - unless it's food they don't like - then the cheek stuffing starts up again! :rolleyes: Hope your lo gets it soon!

The Juggler
20-04-2012, 05:11 PM
does she have tongue tie maybe?

Katiekoo
20-04-2012, 05:19 PM
What is tongue tie? Someone said their child had it the other day and I didn't have time to find out.