PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaning

Boris
20-04-2012, 05:51 AM
My carpets need cleaning! I am in two minds whether to get someone in to do it or buy one of those hoovers that clean! Does anyone have any experience of this? Just not sure...

pinkellifun
20-04-2012, 06:04 AM
I have done both. I tried cleaning the rug I have myself a couple of years ago and although it did make a difference, it wasn't brilliant. Two days ago I had a carpet cleaner come in and they have done a fantastic job - much better than I could have hoped and it wasn't that expensive either.

I have been told you can claim for having your carpets cleaned once a year in your expenses too????

EmmaReed84
20-04-2012, 06:10 AM
I hired one of them rug doctor things from the supermarket when I moved house, it was ok-ish maybe I was doing it wrong but lol. I think it depends if you want a gleaming new looking carpet then hire someone to do it, but if you just want to "clean" your carpet then either hire a machine or buy one x

sarah707
20-04-2012, 06:35 AM
I had someone in last year and they did a good job but it was expensive... we just recently bought a carpet cleaner and that was fab - but we got a mid range one from Makro. I

'm not sure from research that the cheap ones are any use.

Hth :D

Boris
20-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Thank you for the replys. There was a carpet cleaner on Groupon last week but it had really rubbish revews, it said it left the carpet really wet. I think I'll have to get someone in. Hubby isn't too keen on me buying a machine, I think he knows me too well and knows I'd go mad with it! :laughing:

BucksCM
20-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Over the years I've had my carpets cleaned. Do your research and ask the company how wet they leave it! I've had them done by one company years ago and they used a kind of chemical dry clean...came up lovely and were practically dry straight away...were expensive though. Since then, even though I have asked and been promised that "although it won't be dry it won't be left wet" (meaning can't walk on it 'cos it soaks through socks!) this is often NOT true! I've had carpets that are still wet 2 days later!!
I don't live in a big mansion, so can't move into the west wing while it all dries!!
Oh, did have a vax years ago too, was ok, but back breaking work to get it all clean, which is why I ended up paying someone else to do it!!
And yes, if the room is used for minding then it can be charged:D

kel1983
20-04-2012, 08:10 AM
We looked in to getting ours cleaned properly but decided to buy a vax instead for jut under £100. It works ok. Desnt leave carpets looking new but you can see the muck coming out of them and look freasher.

dette
20-04-2012, 08:41 AM
ive got an upright vax spinscrubb.it cost over £300 but its really good and isnt that wet afterwards.ive got a pale green carpet in my livingroom and ive got 7 kids of my own plus 3 mindees and 6 great neice and nephews who are here loads and it still brings it up like new..worth buying

PerkyEars
20-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I have used a rug doctor. It makes a difference but isn't brilliant, and spending the weekend cleaning the carpets and moving furniture around before starting minding again on the monday morning is exhausting.

I've vowed nevera gain and decided to splash out and have the professionals in as soon as I've got the spare cash.

sarahjane
20-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Silly question but if you get someone in do you have to completely empty the room of furniture etc?

nikki thomson
20-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I have to say I find the rug doctor brilliant much much better than a vax, we hire a rug doctor about twice a year and the amount of dirt that comes out of the carpets makes me go ewwww, then every 2 months we vax them which does lift the dirt but not nearly as good as the rug doctor and we have cream carpets. X

AliceK
20-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Silly question but if you get someone in do you have to completely empty the room of furniture etc?

I'd like to know this too??

xxxx

VeggieSausage
20-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I rented one from a tool hire place and that worked really well and then I borrowed a friends who bough theirs from argos and that was brill too :thumbsup:

Boris
22-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I had a quote from ChemDry and they said they couldn't do my rugs because of colour bleed and for the carpet in my lounge/diner they wanted £150!! Its not a huge room! Looks like I'll be saving a bit longer!

funemnx
23-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I've had a Vax, tried the Rug Doctor and now have a Bissell Proheat which I've used for the last 3/4 years. I love having a machine at home, ready to use (I usually do it once a term). It works beautifully, the shampoo is a bit expensive but I buy it directly from Bissell on-line, cheaper when I buy several in one go. :thumbsup:

jelly15
23-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I have a vax duel v heated with spin scrub and I love it. I clean my carpets 2 to 3 times a year but it is also handy when you have had a LO with a stomach bug. It is fairly quick once you get the hang of it and leaves the carpets only slightly damp. I am always amazed at the colour of the water when I have finished.

RonaldCBrogdon
17-09-2012, 07:13 AM
I rented one from a tool hire place and that worked really well and then I borrowed a friends who bough theirs from argos and that was brill too :thumbsup:

agree :):blush:

SarahJellybean
17-09-2012, 08:28 AM
My friend has the newest model of vax and i just borrowed it last month. My carpets are OATMEAL colour and I have a dog who comes in and out through the dining room door and after a very wet july the carpet was dark brown :panic: This new vax heats the water up and leaves the carpet very dry, you can even go over it again with just plain water to make sure there is no shampoo residue as i think shampoo residue tends to make it get dirty quicker after. As soon as I am registered and get my first pay a vax is what I will be spendng it on. My friends is the 125 which is for hard floors too but i shall get the 124 which is same but not hard floor and is about £225 on amazon.

Tazmin68
17-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I have had a bissell for 10 years finally packed up I now have a vax power max which does my rug fine downstairs and the two bedrooms. The bissell was a power wash. With the wood floor in lounge, hall and one bedroom I use a steam mop.

Monkey26
17-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I think I'm lucky - my partner "steals" the industrial one from work when our carpets are looking grubby :D xx

jackie 7
17-09-2012, 06:24 PM
when i worked as a nanny they got people in to do the carpets, they put tin foil under the furniture and moved stuff. on some of the stains i could have done a better job but did not tell the boss.

RitaJMay
22-09-2012, 07:22 AM
i also used to hire professional carpet cleaners