PDA

View Full Version : First parent visit tomorrow :(

sharonmanc
19-04-2012, 07:18 PM
And I feel deflated. I am so exicted to start minding, but am worried about what they will think about my home. I am not looking forward to it at all. Did anyone else feel like this?

I am usually very self confident, and upbeat, maybe it is because the parents are coming into my home.

I am trying to prepare myself, have my folder with my certificate etc, policies in case they want to see them, have made a pack for them to take home, with basic info, activities, fees, menu etc. Not sure i f I need anything else.

I plan on having some age appropriate toys out, my 2 year old will be here also.

I want to kind of say take me as you find me, as i know my home will not be immacualte when minding, but at the same time i know first impressions count.

Any advice welcome :(

NicoleW
19-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Set a few toys out, how old is LO? Have your portfolio out but I normally ask parents something like "I have my policies and procedures and some certificates here for you to have a look at" hand them over and when they start going through I say things like "You will get a copy of all these policies and procedures once you sign a contract" or somethign similar

Make them a cuppa, relax, and be confident

~Grasshopper~
19-04-2012, 07:27 PM
hi

i also live in oldham :)

i still get really nervous before parents visit and clean frantically. my 2 year old is a good distraction so i keep him around but always try to do it whilst my 4 year is at school as he is a nightmare.

Sounds like you have everything sorted and just try to relax, you will either just click with the parents or not.

when i was looking for a minder i choose the one i liked nothing to do with her house or paperwork just that she seemed nice and she lived on route to my work.

best of luck xx

mushpea
19-04-2012, 07:33 PM
GOOD LUCK
I too have a parent visit tomoro and after 5 years of the job I still hate parent visits and get nervous as I never seem to be any good with the interview part.
I would say be confident, relaxed, show them pictures of what you do and your folder with your policys etc in
I will be showing them my folder and references and whilst they are looking at these I will chat to the little boy, he's 4yrs so at least old enough to talk to me, i will offer a cuppa and show them my home and garden and then just hope for the best, I know that she is going to 3 other childminders, 2 of whom are good friends and they both have other children after school to play with were as at the moment I dont have any schoolies other than 2 days a week so I feel that they have a head start anyway but at least I can use this as interview practise!

Joda
19-04-2012, 07:39 PM
The parents are probably just as nervous as you are:) Just be yourself - remember it works both ways - you have to like them as well!

Good luck - I'm sure you will be fine

sharonmanc
19-04-2012, 07:45 PM
have just had someone email me back asking to visit saturday. Both families have 8 month old children, one has a boy one has a girl.

Hopefully I can get on the floor and play with them, If the rain keeps up there will be no showing around the garden,and I am in the middle of decorating my bedroom, which i will be using for naps if required (sods law)

sharonmanc
19-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone.

Joda, I have to remember that - if they can get over the "please take your choses off " then that should be a good start ;)

miffy
19-04-2012, 08:36 PM
have just had someone email me back asking to visit saturday. Both families have 8 month old children, one has a boy one has a girl.

Hopefully I can get on the floor and play with them, If the rain keeps up there will be no showing around the garden,and I am in the middle of decorating my bedroom, which i will be using for naps if required (sods law)

It's great you've got two families interested :thumbsup: I wouldn't worry about showing them the garden, they could always look through a window and you can tell them what outdoor toys you have.

I never show parents around the bedrooms anyway and I've never had any ask to see. They might ask where their child would sleep and only once has anyone asked to see the cot.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you

Miffy xx