PDA

View Full Version : Potty training help!!!!,

missymood
18-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Have a 3 yr old girl and my has sent her in pants says she is ready and doing really well at home!

She had had lots of accidents and will go for a wee if you sit her on the toilet but In-between will wee her pants or poo.

Really fed up with this and had enough of it. Am I being unreasonable to say she can only come in pull ups from now on?

sarah707
18-04-2012, 07:00 PM
How long has she been working on it with mum?

Have you asked mum what her routine is at home? Does she ask to go or is she being taken?

It's a health and safety issue if she's weeing etc everywhere and messy for you to clean up but if it's early days she might just need a little prompting.

I don't like pull ups personally they use them like nappies - but sometimes it's the only option if the child really isn't ready.

Speak to mum and see what more you can do to support the child... then make a decision maybe :D

miffy
18-04-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree talk to mum, it's often easier at home - mum keeps an eye on her all the time, takes her to toilet regularly etc. It's not so easy for you if you have other children to look after too.

I ask parents to try at home for a week and then talk to me about how potty training is going. I'm happy to support them but only if I think the child is ready and they are capable of indicating when they want to go to the toilet. if that isn't happening then yes, I would put them in pull ups.

Miffy xx

missymood
18-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Mum takes pants off and she goes round the house with nothing on and has potties in 2 rooms so it's hit or miss if she gets lucky in one of them.

She doesn't tell me that she needs a wee/poo she is roughly 9 months behind and is currently bring assessed and nursery say she should carry on with pants I feel really und pressure but font want the mess in my house.

I have to prompt her and take her to toilet every hour but agai she still has accidents in buggy and in between and can't fall asleep or else she'll have an accident.

missymood
18-04-2012, 07:43 PM
How long has she been working on it with mum?

Have you asked mum what her routine is at home? Does she ask to go or is she being taken?

It's a health and safety issue if she's weeing etc everywhere and messy for you to clean up but if it's early days she might just need a little prompting.

I don't like pull ups personally they use them like nappies - but sometimes it's the only option if the child really isn't ready.

Speak to mum and see what more you can do to support the child... then make a decision maybe :D

It's been two months since she turned up in pants!

miffy
18-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Mum takes pants off and she goes round the house with nothing on and has potties in 2 rooms so it's hit or miss if she gets lucky in one of them.

She doesn't tell me that she needs a wee/poo she is roughly 9 months behind and is currently bring assessed and nursery say she should carry on with pants I feel really und pressure but font want the mess in my house.

I have to prompt her and take her to toilet every hour but agai she still has accidents in buggy and in between and can't fall asleep or else she'll have an accident.

To me that's not being potty trained, you (or mum, or nursery) are just managing her toileting by taking her every hour. She has no input as she doesn't tell you she needs a wee or pooh.

I think you have to be honest with mum and say that you don't think she's ready.

Miffy xx

missymood
18-04-2012, 07:51 PM
To me that's not being potty trained, you (or mum, or nursery) are just managing her toileting by taking her every hour. She has no input as she doesn't tell you she needs a wee or pooh.

I think you have to be honest with mum and say that you don't think she's ready.

Miffy xx

That's exactly what I told mum and nursery told her to carry on with pants I feel really depressed about it all as fed up of cleaning all the pooh and wee up.

notts
18-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm new to all this (childminding) but my first feeling on this, is that the child isn't ready. I may be wrong. Just sounds like you may be getting the frustrating end of trying to train a child before he/she's actually ready (and in a childminding capacity) - difficult.

I agree with the others, I'd be talking to Mum, explaining your experience and views and trying to understand just how 'well' well is at home. Sounds more like persuasion than progression.

I'd be agreeing a time span with Mum, showing that you are willing and keen to work with her on this but also setting the boundaries to cap this using the health and safety aspect on this.

At the end of the day, when a childs ready, they're ready and the whole thing is so much easier.

Good luck :thumbsup:

missymood
18-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Haven't got her tomorrow she's at nursery but mum said that she wants to carry on even if it means not coming here for a while! I am happy to work with her but not this way

miffy
18-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I would be fed up with it as well.

Have another chat with mum and if she still insists she wants to carry on then I think you have to make the decision whether it is in the interests of the other children you care for to carry on with the potty training - I would say to mum that you cannot have the mess all over your house because a) the time it takes you to clear up takes you away from the other children and b) there are health issues with wee/pooh everywhere.

I really feel for you. I know I wouldn't want this either. :(

Miffy xx

missymood
18-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Also she has a delay in her language too that doesn't help as most if it it babble and I can't understand what she says/wants. I say do u want a wee wee and point to my bits so she can understand but she just looks at me blankly. So I just take her and put her on the toilet and she squeezes a trickle out most of the time.
At groups she usually falls down on her knees and cries then I have to work out what the problem is. I talk to her all the time and we are close.

She had meningitis when she was a baby too and is delayed around 9 months we think.