PDA

View Full Version : Time Out Chairs

Helen Dempster
18-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I saw something on Facebook where someone had posted a photo of a wooden time out chair and I quite fancy having a go at making my own! I've got a child's wooden table and 2 chairs that I'm about to give a bit of a makeover on anyway, but suddenly wondered if I could create a time out chair from one of them.

Have any of you got anything like this? I've seen some on ebay, but they're all about £50 and all a bit 'samie' - I like to be a little different, so would prefer to decorate it my self, to make it a little more personal to myself and my setting :)

miffy
18-04-2012, 01:22 PM
No, I haven't got anything like that and definitely wouldn't pay £50 for one.

I don't very often need to use time out but if I did then I'd just get the child to sit on a small chair.

I'm sure you could pick up something from Ikea at a reasonable price - not sure about decorating it though, you don't want it to be attractive to the children, they might all want to sit there! :D

Miffy xx

Bridey
18-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Having once watched a chair sail across my room, launched by a furious 4 year old, I now do time out on the floor, in my hallway! Thankfully very rarely :)

loopyloopy
18-04-2012, 02:12 PM
We have a time out step :)

kel1983
18-04-2012, 02:53 PM
We sit them on the sofa.

nikki thomson
18-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Having once watched a chair sail across my room, launched by a furious 4 year old, I now do time out on the floor, in my hallway! Thankfully very rarely :)

Sorry that made me chuckle, but on a serious note I do have a thinking space/time out what ever you want to call it, it's in the hallway, they just sit on the floor though, but it's not used often but occasionally I believe they need to be removed from the situation. X

Heaven Scent
18-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I use the thinking step in the hall - but not very often and usually for the same children and it works. There are just some children to need reigning in a little more than others and I think a bit of time out to reflect works wonders - they may not reflect on the rights and wrongs of what they are having time out for but rather on how unfair it is that they cant still play with the others - what ever it is they are reflecting on it works for these two children and that's all that matters. Its also consistent with what parents do at home.

EmmaReed84
18-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I was told on a course by using a chair you then associate it with the child mis-behaving. One example was a CM used a chair for time out and one day she was getting ready to go out and in a hurry just sat a child on the chair to put their shoes on and this child went to pieces thinking he was being given a time out. Also if a child associates a specific place it can make it harder when you are out to enforce a time out.

I just use the words "time out" so they know what I mean and I can take this anywhere. "Go sit on that chair for time out" "Stand over there for time out" etc I once had to give a time out in the middle of the street once because a child (mine :blush:) had a hissy fit in the bakers, I took him straight out and made him stand near a wall for 3 minutes. It worked!

babs
18-04-2012, 04:04 PM
never had to use time out in my home, but have at playgroup which is by my side for 1 minute thinking time, all the mums think its great as i only have to look at little one if done something like taking a toy off another child ( they get told 3 times first ) then i just look at them they come stand by my leg. thing is most of the time i dont get to say anything as i just look up and they come over stand by me after ive given final warning or sometimes if i have my head turned looking at another child ill turn to find x is by my side if i ask why most of the time tells me then says sorry goes back to play..

Demonjill
18-04-2012, 04:49 PM
time out the few times i use it is just safely on floor at side of room we are in

It used to be in hall on bottom step in my last house but now in my new house kids all sit on this step to put their shoes etc on so dont want to confuse them :D