PDA

View Full Version : Lollipops

EmmaReed84
18-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Do you let children (mindees/own children) have lollipops?

I cannot stand lollipops absolutely hate them. Whenever my own children aged 3 and 6 get a lollipop from the hairdressers they know they are not allowed them until we get home. The eldest has to sit and it not allowed to move until it is all gone and for my youngest I smash it and let him eat it like that.

DH thinks I am OTT and perhaps I am. My SIL was in the supermarket one day in the queue when her son who was 7 at the time started to smack her and waving his arms about. He was not making a single sound and SIL had no idea what he was doing, then she saw his lips going blue and saw the very tip of the stick from a lollipop he had down the back of this throat, he was choking. She just about managed to get her fingers in and get it out. She was so shaken up... yet DH still maintains I am OTT.

kellib
18-04-2012, 12:47 PM
My own son is allowed lollypops, he's 6 and knows how to behave when given one. He doesn't get a huge amount though he knows he'll get one when we're on a plane to help with his ears!

I'd never give someone else's child a lollypop even if parents said it was okay, I'd rather not take that risk when they were in my care :)

mindingmummy
18-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I Hate them!

Had a mindee (3 years) who had them for breakfast mind you!! :angry:

FussyElmo
18-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I dont buy them for my children but if they are given one they can have it when we get home.

Can remember being addicted to drumsticks :)

EmmaReed84
18-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I dont buy them for my children but if they are given one they can have it when we get home.

Can remember being addicted to drumsticks :)

Ah not you see drumsticks are a different story lol... Ummm yummy! lol

I mean the hard boiled ones like the chupa chups (although I like them too) I think we should have a legal age limit on lollipops... aged 16 and over :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
18-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Hate them!

Chatterbox Childcare
18-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I buy them but only up the table or to take home

EmmaReed84
18-04-2012, 01:03 PM
FussyElmo, just to let you know you signature made me laugh so much I had to post it on FB... That little phrase has made my day... Mental images...

Helen Dempster
18-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Do you let children (mindees/own children) have lollipops?

I cannot stand lollipops absolutely hate them. Whenever my own children aged 3 and 6 get a lollipop from the hairdressers they know they are not allowed them until we get home. The eldest has to sit and it not allowed to move until it is all gone and for my youngest I smash it and let him eat it like that.

DH thinks I am OTT and perhaps I am. My SIL was in the supermarket one day in the queue when her son who was 7 at the time started to smack her and waving his arms about. He was not making a single sound and SIL had no idea what he was doing, then she saw his lips going blue and saw the very tip of the stick from a lollipop he had down the back of this throat, he was choking. She just about managed to get her fingers in and get it out. She was so shaken up... yet DH still maintains I am OTT.

I'm exactly like you - I cannot abide them! They're probably the only sweet (other than chewing gum) that I don't let my DS (he's 5) have. I'm quite lucky though, as if he DOES get one from someone (ie hairdresser) and she gives it to him directly, he'll only have a couple of sucks and doesn't want it anymore anyway.

I don't think you're being OTT at all hun :thumbsup:

miffy
18-04-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't hate them but wouldn't let any child have one unless they were sitting down, can't stand seeing children running round with lolly sticks sticking out of their mouths! So dangerous!

Miffy xx

Bridey
18-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't buy any sweets or squash. I'm mean like that but we have lovely smiles :D

loopyloopy
18-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Hate them!!! They are just balls of yucky sugar. My 2 have never had them unless a school friends birthday. They may as well grab a spoon and eat from the sugar bowl. Banished from my house :laughing:

Still I do remember being partial to sherbet dips so shouldn't be too harsh but do as I say not as I do and all that :laughing:

Joda
18-04-2012, 03:01 PM
My own children have them occasionally but iIwould never give a mindee a lollipop. I remember being told years ago that a child choked to death when the lollipop came off the stick and became lodged in the child's throat.

babs
18-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Hate them . saw my sons friend choke on one when she was 6 ( son is now 20 ) they were all playing on the grass front outside it had come off the stick and she had swallowed it whole ambulance called and even they couldnt move it almost ended up putting a tube in her neck to help her breath lucky by time they got her to hospital it had moved down.she spent 24hours in hospital though..... banned from my house did have lo that would turn up with one in a morning but i would put it in her bag say she cud have it when she got back home.

singingcactus
18-04-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't allow my youngest to have any boiled sweets, or gum, don't even really like him having chewy sweets. He was 5 before I let him eat a haribo thing. He has other kinds of candy though. My eldest are almost 16, so don't really have too much say any more, but even they don't really go in for boiled sweets, they prefer chocolate.

Chimps Childminding
18-04-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't let mndees have lollipops except chocolate ones and ice lollies (occasionally) and then they have to sit down whilst eating them, or take them home!! I also don't let them have hard sweets (not that they have many sweets) and they definately aren't allowed Drumsticks - they are strictly for me and June - far too good for children :laughing:

EmmaReed84
18-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't let mndees have lollipops except chocolate ones and ice lollies (occasionally) and then they have to sit down whilst eating them, or take them home!! I also don't let them have hard sweets (not that they have many sweets) and they definately aren't allowed Drumsticks - they are strictly for me and June - far too good for children :laughing:

Recently watched Matilda with the kiddies and the bit where the Trunchball eats the chocolate and says "Much to good for children" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
18-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I dont like them , they are very sticky and a nightmare when they get stuck in long hair. Once my dd choked on a lollypop when she was about 4. Scared me to death.
So no i don't let them have them here, but then again I don't go buying sweets for mindees very often, if I do it is a fudge or something like that

FussyElmo
18-04-2012, 05:24 PM
FussyElmo, just to let you know you signature made me laugh so much I had to post it on FB... That little phrase has made my day... Mental images...

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

leeloo1
18-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't give lollys, or any other sweets, to mindees (all little). My own DS has been given them them a lot (corner shop, cafes etc) since he was about 1 (he's now almost 4) and we take them to be polite, but the poor chap doesn't know that you can eat them - he's always been told that they go in your pocket/get used as a drumstick (I quietly bin them after a day or so).

He did see some friend's kids eating lollys the other day and asked what they were having... and I said they had to have medicine! :blush: :laughing:

Poor kid, when he finds out the truth he's going to hate me!

RachelE
18-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I have never bought either of my 2 (5 and 10) lollies.
I am scared of the choking aspect - and would rather they had other sweets that they swallow quickly.

I wouldnt but them for mindees either - feel bad giving them biscuits!!

Rachel x

missymood
18-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I hate lollies they remind me of dummies yuck!
When my lo gets one at school I swap it for a chocolate treat instead!
Then I eat it when they are in bed :laughing::laughing:

charleyfarley
19-04-2012, 10:42 AM
I must be OTT too because none of my children are allowed lollys unless they are sitting down, they can't move till they are finished. 9 times out of 10 the lollys are in the bin after a couple of licks. These lollys are normally given at school for someones birthday and not by me.

Any mindees that bring birthday treats from school go home with them, it's up to the parents if they want them to have them.

I'm a swizzle lolly fan myself but I do sit down to eat it :laughing:

Carol xx

Bridey
19-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't give lollys, or any other sweets, to mindees (all little). My own DS has been given them them a lot (corner shop, cafes etc) since he was about 1 (he's now almost 4) and we take them to be polite, but the poor chap doesn't know that you can eat them - he's always been told that they go in your pocket/get used as a drumstick (I quietly bin them after a day or so).

He did see some friend's kids eating lollys the other day and asked what they were having... and I said they had to have medicine! :blush: :laughing:

Poor kid, when he finds out the truth he's going to hate me!

A bit like telling children that the ice cream van only plays music to let us know it has sold out of ice cream ...