PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted say no crb needed for a cleaner

Katiekoo
18-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I was in the middle of doing some yoga with Mindees, when Ofsted called!!! :panic:
I had asked my cleaner to fill out the form to get crb checked, she wanted more flexibility as to when she could come and clean. Ofsted said, they have changed the rules and now only people living on the premesis need a crb check, people working on the premesis who aren't left with children don't need a crb. I always thought any regular visitor to my home needed a crb!
So I was glad that they weren't calling to tell me anything bad!

Ripeberry
18-04-2012, 10:00 AM
At last some common sense from Ofsted :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
18-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't think they have ever expected one for a casual visitor. I have never done one for a cleaner, window cleaner, gardeners, builders etc etc. Nor for friends or family who visit regularly or even stay for a few days.

I never leaver them alone with minded children, would always inform parents if for instance my Dad was here for a few days so there would never be a problem.

Katiekoo
18-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd always been advised that any regular visitor (ie cleaner may be in house with children for several hours every week) needed a crb check, and that a cleaner needs one before they can start. My cleaner never came during working hours but, I found tht sometimes the children stay late and I thought I would need to get her checked! Glad she doesn't have to do all the form filling now!
Edited; I knew I wasn't making it up look - http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=97930&highlight=Cleaner

sarah707
18-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I was told only a few weeks ago that a new cleaner I was about to take on needed an enhanced CRB - even though she already had one for another job.

They must have changed their policy. :D

Katiekoo
18-04-2012, 06:12 PM
That's what I thought, I did quiz the woman who called me, I felt I might be getting fobbed off. She said they have recently changed things, I wish they'd let us know when they do that! My poor cleaner filled the whole form out for nothing.

Kezzle
18-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I wish i could afford a cleaner :(

The Juggler
18-04-2012, 09:35 PM
we have friends coming to stay for a few weeks - I e-mailed ofsted back in the autumn and was told unless they stayed longer than 6 weeks, I didn't need to get them CRB'd.

I posted their exact reply to me then. will try to find it. so if someone's in my house pretty much all the time for up to 6 week surely a cleaner doesn't need one :panic:

The Juggler
18-04-2012, 09:40 PM
this was the exact reply:

Further to your email 01/12/2011

If the guests are only staying for a few weeks checks will not be required as the individuals will be classed as visitors to the home, please note persons who are not vetted must not be left alone, or be in regular contact with children unsupervised.
If your guests are going to be staying for a period of six weeks or more, please notify us in order for this information to be reviewed.

maisiemog
19-04-2012, 08:30 PM
My cleaner was made to do a CRB check, and so was my sister who visits fairly regularly but doesnt live here. Seems like another case of Ofsted continuing to be inconsistent!

rickysmiths
20-04-2012, 11:00 AM
I must confess iot would never occur to me to ask Ofsted if someone was just visiting me. I know the children are never left alone with the children.

On a cost basis Ofsted are not going to CRB all these visitors are they, they couldn't afford to ever do a CRB on me and I'm a childminder (I was already registered when Ofsted took over so they did do a CRB then and have never bothered since!) so why would they bother to do one on my cleaner or gardener?

Katiekoo
23-04-2012, 08:03 PM
It's just what I was told at ICP training in 2010, and have read since on here. I agree it is a big cost to vet every regular visitor but even according to the lady at Ofsted (when they called me last week) those were the rules (that have now changed apparently)! My old CM (also in 2010) for my dd had CRB checks for the adults in her house and her parents who lived up the road as they visited every week.

I'm just glad my poor cleaner doesn't have to get a check.

maluvsya89
23-04-2012, 08:16 PM
wooo this is good news as we just employed a new cleaner, she cleans already has a CRB check through the city council so im just going to photocopy that if its less then 6months old and stick it in my file of regular vistors that parents have read and signed to say they understand that i have regular vistors but at any time there children will not be left in their company at any times! :)

catlyn
21-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Update to this thread...I have just come off the phone to Ofsted and asked if my cleaner ( 2 hours a week when we are at toddlers) needs a check and was told no they dont...as they are only an occasional visitor to the house and never left unsupervised with the children then a check isnt required