PDA

View Full Version : Pets - cats

Gherkin
01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Wanted to pick everyones brains - My waste of space sister is possibly getting to the stage where she can no longer care for her cat. My mum has asked whether I can take the cat (Kylie Cat) on. I am very tempted but have a new starter later this month whose mum is allergic to cats.

What could I do? My kids love this little cat who is really shy. I would hate to see her go to at cats home. Do you think there is any way I could pitch it to the parent? Would I need a pets policy? If so wohat the hell should it say?

Help please?

Also if anyone has a cat at the moment can I ask how much would you say a cat cost you per week? (Dh has said I would need to foot the bill).

Thanks

chez1373
01-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Sorry i dont have a cat but i do have a pets policy for my dog.
It just has to state that you wont let the animals be alone with the children and things like that safey at all times for you mindees and your animals...

As to the alergy ive no idea....

Sorry

berkschick
01-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I have 6 cats and they cost me about £8 in food. The frontline flea stuff is £22 for 3 doses, one dose lasts a month. The worming stuff isnt expensive.

You would need a pet policy.

You might also want a permission form for mindees to be around the cat, I got this as a recommendation at my inspection last week as I didnt know I needed it!

littlesprogs
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I've got 2 cats they cost me about £10 a month in food. Then you have to worm them every 3 months and i think that costs about £3.50 and then you have to give them something for fleas. I use 4fleas tablets they are great and they only need 1 tablet a month they are more expensive than the worming ones but its the only thing that works imo.

miffy
01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
There is a pet policy on the bromley site which you could adapt

www.bromleycma.org.uk

and as Debbie said a permission form would cover all the angles

Good luck with the parent

miffy xx

Gherkin
01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone - all your information has helped loads.

disney
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
i have got a cat and a pets policy . cost me about £ 12 a month to feed her
i use frontline pipets to a her £ 22 for 3 and each one is done every 2 months , then worming every 3 months £4. my cat is getting old now and she does not come down stairs so my mindees dont see her much :) i suppose the only problem you would have is if any of your mindees had an alergy

haribo
01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
after the initial start mum probably wont actually need to come in your house for too long- she prob wont even notice any reaction. if the lo isnt allergic it wouldnt be a problem. also you can buy pet wipes that you rub over the animal to minimse the dander (or something )that causes the reaction. i have a cat thats really shy- shes comes slinking downstairs after all the kids have gone. it would be a shame if you couldnt take her, especially as your own kids love her. and if it didnt work out you would at least know you tried.. can you tell i love cats:laughing: :laughing:

Wendy Woo
01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi claire sorry this comes from me!!! Dont hate me but i have cat aleergy to and i dont even need to touch the cat and i get e reaction from it. My best friend has a cat and i really suffer just bein in her nouse even wen the cat is outside!!! Also one of my mindees has a cat at home and some days i get a reaction from the fur on his clothes etc it even gets to me if he has been strokin the cat b4 he comes and then i touch his hands!!!!
Dont wanna be a pain but also dont want u to loose new mindee. Maybe talk to mum 1st she maybe ok bout it. i have a bad allergy she may not be that bad.
Cat does sound sweet tho x x x

FizzysFriends
01-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I have a cat allergy and my DD's last CM had a cat and it didn;t really cause me and problem, I wasn't ever in the house long and the cat never came near me, I only have a reaction if the cat is close to me or I touch it though. I'd ask the mom, if she doesn't have a bad allergy she probably wont mind.

polobear1970
01-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Wanted to pick everyones brains - My waste of space sister is possibly getting to the stage where she can no longer care for her cat. My mum has asked whether I can take the cat (Kylie Cat) on. I am very tempted but have a new starter later this month whose mum is allergic to cats.

What could I do? My kids love this little cat who is really shy. I would hate to see her go to at cats home. Do you think there is any way I could pitch it to the parent? Would I need a pets policy? If so wohat the hell should it say?

Help please?

Also if anyone has a cat at the moment can I ask how much would you say a cat cost you per week? (Dh has said I would need to foot the bill).

Thanks

Hi Claire,

It not the fur there allergic to it's the cat saliva, there is something you can get from the vets (i thinks) that can help, but i'm not sure hw much it cost.

The only other thing I can sugest is to hover more often to keep the hair down.

I have two cats, but find when the children are here they stay upstairs out for the way.

Hope this helps

Lisa

Rubybubbles
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I have to cats and have no idea how much they cost:blush: , I buy a ober huge bag of food from a garden centre for £22 that last 2-3 months, then jabs about £45 each per year, and the flea and worm stuff I get from vets and not cheap:blush: either that or I'm tight!

I would rather have my cats than a fussy mindie:laughing: , sorry in a funny mood tonight

Shirlwith3
02-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Hi I'm a cat owner another thing you should serviously think of having is pet insurance as las yr my part timers parents dog was brought to my house (Knowing I have cats) and my 16yr old cat was sitting on the door step & she jumps on his head for being too close & the dog shook her of and broke her jaw in 3 places, she is the only one of my cats not insured so we had to pay over £1,300 to haver her jaw repaired. Also cats will need more care when they get older.

Shirl

lizzymoonshine
02-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi

I'm a cat owner and a mindee mum with a cat allergy! she does come in the house and is sometimes in the same room as the cat, she just doesn't touch her or thats where the trouble starts!

I think the cat knows though, cos she just makes a beeline then for mindee mum!!! we all have a laugh about it now! :) :)

Annie_T
10-06-2008, 09:32 PM
oh glad i found this as i have a house cat he nearly a year now

thank you