PDA

View Full Version : Is this a rubbish idea?

mindingmummy08
17-04-2012, 01:19 PM
My new play kitchen came last week and its filled with lovely felt food from Ikea (fruit and veg) and a felt chicken that I couldn't resist off amazon.

The kitchen has a big cupboard in it so lots of storage space.

I'd been browsing lots of foods on amazon, I love the felt stuff. I'm trying to avoid plastic foods especially as most of it seems to be junk food like pretend burgers and pizzas.

Anyway I had the idea while in my kitchen cooking to use real packaged food and change it around now and again. It would need to be safe dried food mostly such as a small pack of sharwoods noodles that are sealed.

Is this a rubbish idea? Would they just want to get it out or think I'd lost the plot? All the children I have are under 4. Can anyone think of any other foods I could add if it is a good idea? The kids love helping me unpack the shopping when its delivered on a friday and handling all the boxes of cereal etc.

I already have a couple of old empty boxes in the play kitchen.

Bridey
17-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't use real food because of health and safety issues - choking/allergies/use by dates etc. The noodles could easily be opened and break into tiny pieces. Is it also a good idea to use food to play with on ethical grounds? There are people starving to death on this planet and I personally would feel uncomfortable encouraging waste.

Fine to use some old boxes of 'real' items.

ps: Loving the idea of the felt chicken!

mama2three
17-04-2012, 01:30 PM
My little pans in the toy kitchen currently have pasta and rice in them , the children definitely seem to prefer this to the plastic food I also have.

mushpea
17-04-2012, 01:39 PM
knowing my lot they would open the packs and the stuff would go everywhere then I would be finding it for weeks :laughing:
I have had pasta indoors but in the water tray and had the rule it stayed in the water tray.
I do put empty packets and boxs in there and they seem to really like their 'real play' food packs.
I guess it depends on wether you can trust them not to chuck it everywhere or put it in their mouths and also how much mess you can cope with.

miss mopple
17-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I think its a great idea:thumbsup: I'd add real veg etc too :thumbsup:

wyetots
17-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I have a lady who knits alsorts of fruit as it mostly only requires remnants of wools from fruit and veg, to fried eggs, sausages etc - she is so clever. She knits for our local childrens hospice so she now knows what i want and do £5 worth of food per month and the money goes to charity - anyone interested in this can just call into their local charity shop of their choice and there is usually a dedicated knitter that they have. Knitted food is soft and safe!!

francinejayne
17-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I have a couple of plastic jars with screw on lids (my DD got a sweet shop for christmas and they contained sweets!) - I have half filled them with dry pasta and rice then superglued the lids on - the children love them in their kitchen and it doesn't bother them that they can't get to the food! They also use them as musical instruments!

We have lots of packets (mini cereal boxes, milkshake powder pot, washed yoghurt pots, margarine pots, etc) all empty and clean and the children love these!

Helen79
17-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I use real packets of food that are empty, they're happy to fill them up with the toy food. Empty gravy tubs, oxo and jelly boxes and the funsize cereal boxes are good, the hot chocolate tub is the favourite cos it smells of chocolate for ages :)

If I'm supervising really closely I let them use dried pasta, rice and lentils.
Love the idea of glueing the lids on, going to try that one.

mindingmummy08
17-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I love the idea of glueing lids on jars and the knitted food.

Going to do some more blog research for ideas!

missymood
17-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I think its a great idea:thumbsup: I'd add real veg etc too :thumbsup:

I've added real fruit but on,y for the day as don't want it going everywhere and also so I can keep an eye on the little monkeys:thumbsup:

singingcactus
17-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I use real veg in mine, rice and pasta and pulses, I also add small amounts of nice leafy (safe) herbs. I also save boxes for the play kitchen, I would be wary though of using food in plastic packets. It does depend on the age of the kids of course, mine are just venturing into the world of make believe, but are still mouthers so will wait another couple of months.

I don't hold with the whole, 'but there are kids starving in africa' argument I'm afraid. There are also kids dying from lack of water, but I guarantee people who use that argument will wash their cars, fill paddling pools, take baths and long showers every single day, waste drinks etc. So don't let that put you off the wonderful learning and discovery opportunities provided by our mother earth in the form of edible materials.