PDA

View Full Version : Increased numbers??

Dani Girl90
17-04-2012, 09:35 AM
HI there!

I am a newly registered childminder and I am recieving calls from families at a much faster rate than i anticipated! I am considering an assistant. I would love to accept more children and broaden my business a little as i feel it would benefit the children to be able to go on bigger excursions and have a more lively atmosphere etc.

How many more children will Ofsted increase my numbers by? How do they decide this? I have read that a childminder was only able to take on one more child. If this was a possibility then there would be no point in me hiring an assistant as the money i would gain from an extra child would pay the assistant wages and i would be where i am now. :(

So can you please advise me on what the process usually os and how many extra children i could mind? (i would ideally like 2-3 more)

I have looked on the Ofsted website and there is information about assistants but no difinitive answers to how many children per assistant.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Mouse
17-04-2012, 09:58 AM
As a rule you can normally double your numbers with an assistant, but it does depend on the size of your house and how many children of your own you have.

What you have to think is, if you hire an assistant and take on more children, what would you do if the assistant was off sick or needed time off? You wouldn't be able to have 6 under 5s by yourself.

Mouse
17-04-2012, 10:03 AM
You would also have to look into whether or not you would need planning permission. Sometimes you need it if you have over a certain number of children, or if you work with an assistant.

Dani Girl90
17-04-2012, 10:07 AM
You would also have to look into whether or not you would need planning permission. Sometimes you need it if you have over a certain number of children, or if you work with an assistant.

Planning permission? What do you mean by this? I understand if an assistant was ill then i would have to think about the children- i guess that situation would be the same as now if im poorly and the parents have to seek alternate care.

I would be looking at wanting to accept 2-3 more children with the option of doubling numbers. I wouldnt take on more than was absolutely safe.

How do Ofsted decide on a number?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Mouse
17-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Your local authority planning department might want you to have planning permission if you run a business from your home. They are generally OK about it if you are within your registered numbers, but if you go above the normal 6 children under 8 they may say you need to apply for planning permission. They can look at the impact the increased traffic will have on neighbours (ie. extra cars arriving to drop off & collect children), the noise it will create, and generally the implications of running a business from a residential setting.
Some local authorities seem quite strict on it, others don't seem to bother.

I think Ofsted would decide on your numbers based on the size of your house. You could phoine them and ask how many children you would be allowed with an assistant.

Dani Girl90
17-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Right, I have rang Ofsted and basically I have to fill out the forms and await their decision. Planning permission goes from there. Thanks for you help!

FussyElmo
17-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Right, I have rang Ofsted and basically I have to fill out the forms and await their decision. Planning permission goes from there. Thanks for you help!

Planning permission can be several hundreds of pounds and not guarannteed to be granted. They will take you neighbours views into consideration, parking etc etc.

shazza06
06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Im currently going through process with ofsted of taking on an assistant as so much work recently coming my way plus siblings!!! I was told by ofsted that i could reasonably double my numbers[depending on floor space obviously] but I would still be under the ratio of 3 under 5`s per adult and within 6 under 8`s.
awaiting crb check of assistant and then i apply for variation of numbers once given the ok by ofsted for assistant..seems easy enough to be honest and i`m not employing an assistant but they`ll be self employed and will invoice me saving me the hassle of employment terms etc

jumping j
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm just starting the process and have an assistant lined up, she's already a registered childminder and I'm going to advise her to be self employed to save on the extra paper work!!!
Sent the paperwork in on friday so hopefully I'll hear back within 2 weeks

rickysmiths
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Planning permission can be several hundreds of pounds and not guarannteed to be granted. They will take you neighbours views into consideration, parking etc etc.

It will also usually take a min of three months to go through because it depends when your council have planning meetings and when these tie in with the 21 day consultation of your neighbours.

If you go this route and effectively change the use of your Domestic dwelling to a business one you may have to consider the impact of paying Capital Gains Tax on your house when you sell it and how much that will cost you.

rickysmiths
06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Im currently going through process with ofsted of taking on an assistant as so much work recently coming my way plus siblings!!! I was told by ofsted that i could reasonably double my numbers[depending on floor space obviously] but I would still be under the ratio of 3 under 5`s per adult and within 6 under 8`s.
awaiting crb check of assistant and then i apply for variation of numbers once given the ok by ofsted for assistant..seems easy enough to be honest and i`m not employing an assistant but they`ll be self employed and will invoice me saving me the hassle of employment terms etc

Just check with your local Council about planning permission.

Also it is my belief that if your Assistant works more than a certain number of hours a week you have no choice but to employ them. I would check with HMRC on that one.

shazza06
08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
hi..im registering an assistant who isnt a childminder but works in schools and has had a crb check done about 5 months ago,maybe less, all the paperwork has been sent off but exactly how long is it going to take inc getting the variation for extra numbers..i have parents waiting to hear for a sept start? and cant really keep asking them to wait !!! feel bad about not giving them a clear answer apart from i`m waiting to hear from OFSTED