PDA

View Full Version : Laundry and level 2 nvq!

jadavi
16-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi - what do these things have in common?
Well they are both on my mind after reading the statutory requirements (old eyfs) in readiness for my first inspection next week
1) children must never access the laundry area ( mine walk right through the room)
2) at least half of your staff ( apart from you) must be at least nvq 2 trained in a relevant subject... My assistant apart from family members us a school leaver....

Any comments on either?

Love ja. Xxx

rickysmiths
17-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Does this not apply to Settings like Nurseries and Pre-Schools not childminder's? I am at mindees house at present and don't have my copy of EYFS with me.

Until we had an extension built 2yrs ago I had my washing machine in my kitchen. This is my home not an institution. It was this way for the first 16yrs of minding :laughing:

sarah707
17-04-2012, 06:30 AM
We did move our laundry facilities out of the house so we could show compliance with this one... but that was our choice, a risk assessment stating how we manage the hazard would probably have been enough I am sure it is for most childminders.

The level 2 training links to the common core which most of us have anyway - if Ofsted registered you then they must have been happy with your qualifications :D

miffy
17-04-2012, 06:35 AM
I read that to apply to nurseries etc only not childminders. We have to walk through utility where washing machine and tumble drier are to get outside, my inspector came with us and it wasn't mentioned. It is included in my RA though.

Miffy xx

mama2three
17-04-2012, 06:56 AM
My utility room has the childrens toilet off - and the work surface above the washer is the nappy mat area. I did ask at prereg if it was a problem as Id seen it in the eyfs , but she laughed and said 'well where else would your washer go? Its your home'.

Roseolivia
17-04-2012, 07:03 AM
My utility room has the childrens toilet off - and the work surface above the washer is the nappy mat area. I did ask at prereg if it was a problem as Id seen it in the eyfs , but she laughed and said 'well where else would your washer go? Its your home'.

Exactly, sorry but this is my home and i think to do this job we change our lives so much without having to uproot our washer/drier somewhere else. I know what my dp would say if we had to move our laundry area:angry:

Mouse
17-04-2012, 08:15 AM
My washing machine is in the kitchen and the mindees help with the washing, so it's not a problem. They never touch the dirty clothes, but they love helping unload the clean washing, putting it in the dryer, turning it on & taking the clothes out when they're dry. They even "help" fold the clothes & put them into the right piles.
When my own children come in from school I have one mindee who tells them they've got a pile of clothes & to put them away properly :laughing::laughing:

I would say though, they only help under supervision & the plugs are switched off if the appliances aren't being used.

buzzy bee
17-04-2012, 10:47 AM
My washing machine is in the kitchen and there is no safety gate and I was fine. And the children LOVE helping me do the laundry.

My assistant is my mum and she has no childcare qualifications - just paediatric 1st aid.

So I'm sure you'll be fine :thumbsup: