PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted class twins as one?

Kezzle
16-04-2012, 07:35 PM
This is what a parent has just told me a childminder told her...

To those that are experienced in this... is this right? I didn't think so..
I thought that ofsted would allow it with a variation under continuity of care? As twins are both under 1 and only allowed 1 child as certificate states.

Your views please.

snufflepuff
16-04-2012, 07:36 PM
You would have to apply to ofsted for a variation, you can't just count them as one child.

Kezzle
16-04-2012, 07:38 PM
You would have to apply to ofsted for a variation, you can't just count them as one child.

That was exactly what i thought i was like huh... did that just get said.

Mouse
16-04-2012, 08:04 PM
For twins Ofsted will usually give you a variation to have 2 under 1s, but they would then take up 2 of your EY spaces.

I have heard people say before that twins only take up one space, so it's obviously something that people do believe.

Kezzle
16-04-2012, 08:10 PM
For twins Ofsted will usually give you a variation to have 2 under 1s, but they would then take up 2 of your EY spaces.

I have heard people say before that twins only take up one space, so it's obviously something that people do believe.

I did make clear that as far as i've been trained ofsted do not class twins as one! I explained how a variation would work. Hopefully that's a plus in my book... as it shows i know what i'm talking about and the other minder doesn't?

Largely i only know what i'm going on about because of everyone on here! haha.

So would i be right if i thought where my certificate states i can have 3 under 5's 3 of them can be over 1... they don't have to be 2 under 5 and one under one if hyperthetically i didn't want to take on an under one?

loocyloo
16-04-2012, 08:12 PM
So would i be right if i thought where my certificate states i can have 3 under 5's 3 of them can be over 1... they don't have to be 2 under 5 and one under one if hyperthetically i didn't want to take on an under one?

thats right, as long as all 3 are under 5, it doesn't matter how old they are. but you can only have one under 1yr, however, if you contact ofsted for a variation to have baby twins, as long as you are still in your 3 under 5, then you would be fine.

good luck xxx i've minded several sets of twins, i love it :D

Kezzle
16-04-2012, 08:37 PM
thats right, as long as all 3 are under 5, it doesn't matter how old they are. but you can only have one under 1yr, however, if you contact ofsted for a variation to have baby twins, as long as you are still in your 3 under 5, then you would be fine.

good luck xxx i've minded several sets of twins, i love it :D

ooo someone with twin knowledge... Was it easy to tell them apart? lol.

I'm used to one baby and handing them back to mummy after a few hours! and they were my sisters kids. :p

I can see me having my hands full if they choose me twins and a 2.5 yr old!

Did the parent provide all nappies and food for them? I've been looking at costs of double buggies as i haven't bought much things untill i knew ages of kids. Can't believe how expensive some can be. I have no idea whats good or not been reading up reviews. I will not be parting with any money untill mums signed the contract though! Gives me a month to get things in order i reckon.

lfishwick
16-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I have 2 sets of twins - girls 13 months and boy/girl 11 months. I had to get a variation for the younger ones ( I can have 6 under 5 - 3 under 1 with my assistant)

I bought my double and triple buggies off eBay - £47 for twin £ 155 for triple.

Parents provide nappies and baby wipes etc I provide food :)

I love having them- all my under 5's are under 2- it's busy but I like having then so close in age :)

rickysmiths
17-04-2012, 06:00 AM
If you want to take on twins and you already have 2 under 5s Ofsted will usually grant a Variation for this on grounds of continuity of care as long as you demonstrate you have all the required equipment and can care for 4 children.

Kezzle
18-04-2012, 08:55 AM
If you want to take on twins and you already have 2 under 5s Ofsted will usually grant a Variation for this on grounds of continuity of care as long as you demonstrate you have all the required equipment and can care for 4 children.

I've had a look at the variation form in the free resources section. It seems like it should be easily enough granted. Currently i have hardly any equipment but hats because i've had no interest untill now so didnt know the ages of children that may come to me. But its nothing i can't run down to the shop for! Or ebay. :) mums coming this evening on her own! I have nooo idea what to ask her! She was really keen to see me as quickly as possible so im going to just answer all her questions :)

Kezzle
18-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I met mum today and she was lovely! And she said she loved my website :jump for joy:

Really happy, I think It's between me and a nanny. *fingers crossed*

rickysmiths
18-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I've had a look at the variation form in the free resources section. It seems like it should be easily enough granted. Currently i have hardly any equipment but hats because i've had no interest untill now so didnt know the ages of children that may come to me. But its nothing i can't run down to the shop for! Or ebay. :) mums coming this evening on her own! I have nooo idea what to ask her! She was really keen to see me as quickly as possible so im going to just answer all her questions :)

This is a very good site and they deliver super fast. My dh ordered a buggy for me at 8.15am one morning and it was with me by 7.45am the next day :thumbsup:

http://www.kiddicare.com/?rw.cm=Google,ppc,kiddicare+peterborough&cm_mmc=icrossing-_-Google-_-Generic-_-kiddicare+peterborough&OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=644353

Kezzle
18-04-2012, 07:18 PM
This is a very good site and they deliver super fast. My dh ordered a buggy for me at 8.15am one morning and it was with me by 7.45am the next day :thumbsup:

http://www.kiddicare.com/?rw.cm=Google,ppc,kiddicare+peterborough&cm_mmc=icrossing-_-Google-_-Generic-_-kiddicare+peterborough&OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=644353

Ahh i've seen that site before. If they're super speedy delivery i'll keep them in mind.

I had to resist the urge to buy yet more books i seem to have a childrens book addiction :/

Mum said she has a buggy and asked what equipment i'd need i said buggy would be usefull but any equipment i need i'm willing to buy as a childminder it's whats expected really! She seemed happy with this.

miffy
18-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Fingers crossed for you Kezzle

Miffy xx

Kezzle
20-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Fingers crossed for you Kezzle

Miffy xx

Thank you!

Unfortunately she chose the nanny! :( Pretty gutted. I think it could have been a great family to start off with. But i shall just have to keep looking. :)