PDA

View Full Version : Notice on maternity

munch149
16-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Been given notice whilst I'm on maternity. Do I have to give deposit back as notice should be 4 working weeks?

Goatgirl
16-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi :),
Couldn't swear that maternity leave is regarded the same way holidays are but it should be IMO. I'd be thinking of the deposit as holding a place for mindee when I return to work; the family is not going ahead, therefore they forfeit the deposit :).

I would ring your insurers to check: good luck :thumbsup:

best wishes,
wendy :)

The Juggler
16-04-2012, 09:13 PM
sorry this has happened hon, but I think I'd err on the side of parents here.

If they were moving house, you couldn't possibly expect them to wait until the end of your maternity leave so they could use their 4 weeks notice. And if you can't work the notice period then my personal opinion is that you can't charge it.

I wish it weren't so. On the bright side, you have the rest of your maternity leave to fill the space :thumbsup:

munch149
17-04-2012, 08:03 AM
sorry should prob have added this but only taking 6 weeks. if i was taking 9 months i would have returned it but feel with 6 weeks if they werent coming back they should have told me beforehand and they only have top wait another three until im back now. im pretty sure they knew this was coming if not exactly when.

Mouse
17-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Have you chatted to them to find out why they have given notice now? Maybe they think you won't manage childminding with such a young baby and you'd might be able to convince them otherwise?

I had one mum give me notice for that reason. She didn't see how I would be able to look after her son & my own 3mth old baby, so decided to send him to nursery instead. He hated it & she was soon on the phone asking me to have him back :rolleyes:

If they are definitely leaving, phone your insurance company to check where you stand.

munch149
17-04-2012, 08:58 AM
family live away and are coming to stay for a while so they are looking after them and they dont know how long for. may come back but cant guarantee it