PDA

View Full Version : help chicken pox

mushpea
16-04-2012, 09:59 AM
how long do i need to exclude a child with chicken pox for, is untill the first spot scabs over or just a certain period, he is here with me now and broken out in them today, hopefully mum will be here shortley!

Polly2
16-04-2012, 10:26 AM
lo will be infectious until all the spots have crusted :thumbsup:

Twinkle-Toes
16-04-2012, 11:54 AM
The HPA states 5 days from onset but in further information it says the infection is still present until all the spots have healed and dried.

I have just lost 2 children as the parents were standing by the 5 days and wouldn't accept the 'until dried' bit!!

funemnx
16-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I'd say take this week off and see you Monday - should be fine by then x

mushpea
16-04-2012, 02:46 PM
shes under the impresion he will be back by thursday but i think not, I thought it was always untill they were crusted over but it says 5 days, I also thought they were contagious before the spots appeared anyway so most likley all my lot will get it anyhow.

pinkellifun
16-04-2012, 03:31 PM
My ds broke out in chickenpox 2 weeks ago. I was told that he was infectious before the spots appeared and also either until the spots has crusted over or 5 days whichever is longest.

Bridey
16-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Yup - they are contagious before the spots come out. Just keep an eye on your lot (I think incubation can be two weeks) and it would be wise to avoid spending time with any pregnant friends until you know if they have it or not.

miffy
16-04-2012, 05:40 PM
The trouble is the spots tend to come out in batches over a few days so 5 days from the onset of the rash is unrealistic as far as I'm concerned.

Sad if you lost children over it though, but then you'd probably have had problems every time they were sick! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

mushpea
16-04-2012, 06:43 PM
she has just rang me to confirm its c.pox, she said she would see how he is for thursday:eek: so i informed her it the guide lines were for at least 5 days and then untill the spots were crusted, she was also told this by the doctor so was happy to accept it,, I always feel guilty about charging parents when I send their kids home ill then refuse to have them:(

Kezzle
16-04-2012, 08:04 PM
The guidelines i have here from Health protection agency states '5 days from onset of rash.' It's just one of those things which every kid gets and it's better for them to get it now than to miss having it surely? Everything will be fine, so long as parent is happy to accept your exclusion then nothing to feel guilty about. :)

The Juggler
16-04-2012, 08:52 PM
The HPA states 5 days from onset but in further information it says the infection is still present until all the spots have healed and dried.

I have just lost 2 children as the parents were standing by the 5 days and wouldn't accept the 'until dried' bit!!

i have just had my LO back after easter hols. she had the worse case of CP I have ever seen :panic: you can see by the scars there was no space at all between the spots - it's mad. She had them in her inner ears and throat and was so poorly.

she had new spots appearing after 6 days of first one :panic: can't believe parents would give notice over this :panic:

Twinkle-Toes
18-04-2012, 11:38 AM
i have just had my LO back after easter hols. she had the worse case of CP I have ever seen :panic: you can see by the scars there was no space at all between the spots - it's mad. She had them in her inner ears and throat and was so poorly.

she had new spots appearing after 6 days of first one :panic: can't believe parents would give notice over this :panic:

Mum was a nurse.....and didn't I know it!! Think it was more to do with me standing up for myself for once and she just lost it!!

Had both parents screaming, shouting, squaring up to me and throwing insults at other mindees. I gave immediate notice....they told me that "deep down I knew I was in the wrong" erm......nope......still nope and will never be any different!!

Blooming chickenpox have a lot to answer for!!

The Juggler
18-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Mum was a nurse.....and didn't I know it!! Think it was more to do with me standing up for myself for once and she just lost it!!

Had both parents screaming, shouting, squaring up to me and throwing insults at other mindees. I gave immediate notice....they told me that "deep down I knew I was in the wrong" erm......nope......still nope and will never be any different!!

that's awful :eek::panic:

miffy
18-04-2012, 01:14 PM

That must have been horrible for you, so glad you were able to give notice. Some people think think they own you body and soul! :rolleyes: Hope you find some nicer parents soon.

Miffy xx