PDA

View Full Version : Term time only

jumping j
16-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I have a potential parent with 2 lo's, a 9 month old and a 2 year old.
She's a part time teacher who would need 1 or 2 full days a week term time only. I don't mind the 1 or 2 days as I've just has a lo leave who only used 2 days.

But I'm not sure whether to charge a higher rate during term time or my normal rate during term time but a retainer of 50% during holidays.

I'm just wondering what other people do.

I know there's a chance that I could fill the places during the holidays but at the moment I haven't got anyone wanting holiday care only.

Any suggestions/advice welcome

funemnx
16-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Whenever I've minded for teachers, I've charged a retainer in the holidays :thumbsup:

mushpea
16-04-2012, 07:59 AM
I dont charge a retainer for the holidays, I take them on knowing that they are going to be term time only and that I wont have that extra money in the holidays, I have never filled the holiday space but then I enjoy having less children and more time for my own children in the holidays.
it really depends on wether you need the money all year round and also what others are doing in your area as she may decide to go with somone who dosent charge a retainer.

rickysmiths
16-04-2012, 08:04 AM
For term time only now after years of charging full normal hourly rate in term time and half for the 13 weeks holidays I have found there is a greater expectation of not paying in the holidays.

What I do now is add up the full fees for 39 weeks and half fees for 13 weeks and divide by 39 to get an enhanced weekly fee which is charged during term time only.

This then gives you the half fee during the holidays but the parent thinks they are only paying for the term time weeks used :rolleyes:

So as an example if your hourly rate is £5ph and they need 1hr am and 3hr pm 5 days a week the weekly fees would be £100 per week. If you then add in the 13 weeks at £50pw the weekly fee for the 39 weeks of term time become £117 per week which equates to £5.85 ph.

rickysmiths
16-04-2012, 08:05 AM
For term time only now after years of charging full normal hourly rate in term time and half for the 13 weeks holidays I have found there is a greater expectation of not paying in the holidays.

What I do now is add up the full fees for 39 weeks and half fees for 13 weeks and divide by 39 to get an enhanced weekly fee which is charged during term time only.

This then gives you the half fee during the holidays but the parent thinks they are only paying for the term time weeks used :rolleyes:

So as an example if your hourly rate is £5ph and they need 1hr am and 3hr pm 5 days a week the weekly fees would be £100 per week. If you then add in the 13 weeks at £50pw the weekly fee for the 39 weeks of term time become £117 per week which equates to £5.85 ph.

This is the way other self employed people cover the time they are on holiday.

AliceK
16-04-2012, 08:10 AM
I dont charge a retainer for the holidays, I take them on knowing that they are going to be term time only and that I wont have that extra money in the holidays, I have never filled the holiday space but then I enjoy having less children and more time for my own children in the holidays.
it really depends on wether you need the money all year round and also what others are doing in your area as she may decide to go with somone who dosent charge a retainer.

This is what I do as well. I'm happy not to have so many children in the holidays. I do charge a very slightly enhanced hourly rate though for TTO children but not much. I also stipulate in the contracts that Septembers fees are payable at the end of July.

xxxx

adele1985
16-04-2012, 09:48 AM
hi hun i dont dont charge extra or a retianer for term time only contracts as my other children nrmally make the hours up by doing more in the holidays and i normally get alot more time off during the hols :)

Demonjill
16-04-2012, 10:04 AM
I dont offer term time contracts.

I do have a teacher parent and her child comes only 2 days a week and its only 10 hours total

I cant afford to have no pay for the holidays and looked into adding it all up and dividing it out like Ricky says but then if someone left half way through and money was all confusing.

I am available in holidays to work unless i have actually said im off on holiday so parents pay same all year. Not higher rate or retainer half fees.
None of my parents complain and if they choose to keep their child at home thats fine and if they want to send them thats also fine.