PDA

View Full Version : children won't eat healthy food advice please!!

littleones123
15-04-2012, 02:45 PM
i have 3 children in my care monday to friday one full time and 2 in school age 7 & 9 they refuse to eat healthy food the youngest one hardly eats at all mums answer is give her rubbish if thats all she will eat such as crisps, biscuits or cake bars, older children are not as bad but it's hard work trying to work out a menu to suit all children and keeping to the guidelines.
if i was to show evidence of trying to ofsted would this be ok? even though it might not actually work, i cant force them to eat good food and i can't change habbits they have at home.

thankyou in advance

BucksCM
15-04-2012, 03:03 PM
If they won't eat healthy food at yours and continue to eat that way then I would tell mum to provide the food she wants her children to eat as you are not prepared to let your children eat the same food or have to cook two meals!
If mum insists that you give her crisps, biscuits and cake bars for tea then refer her to your healthy eating policy(or where ever you have it written down)
The other way is to sit mum down and ask if she wants her children to eat healthier? If so, she's going to have to work with you on it, stick to it and the children will realise that they will have to eat what's given and not wait it out for unhealthy stuff. They will eat it if they are hungry!!
If she refuses and says no, then at least you've tried...but tell her to feed her own children!!

sarah707
15-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I would suggest you give a light snack to those who will not eat from your healthy eating menu and parents can feed them junk at home.

:D

BucksCM
15-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I would suggest you give a light snack to those who will not eat from your healthy eating menu and parents can feed them junk at home.

Yes...this works too:D:D:D

Ali56
15-04-2012, 06:33 PM

I'd do this too. :D Tell mum you have an obligation to provide healthy food and will not be filling them full of junk at yours.

mushpea
15-04-2012, 06:48 PM
all children get given the same, if they dont eat they go hungry,, we have
sandwich/sausage roll, wraps, or rolls
then
fruit
then
youghurt
if they dont eat sandwich they dont get fruit, if they dont eat fruit they dont get dessert, its their choice and eventualy they do learn that its what I give them or nothing,
I wont let parents send food from home anymore due to one child bringing nothing but c**p and all the kids getting upset cause they coudlnt have the same.

~Grasshopper~
15-04-2012, 06:53 PM
i wouldnt be giving junk of any kind. i agree with the pp.

i would give sandwich, fruit, yoghurt and thats it. if they dont eat they go hungry. they will soon learn hun.

x

littleones123
15-04-2012, 07:18 PM
thankyou everyone very helpfull :) x

handeme
16-04-2012, 11:06 AM
all children get given the same, if they dont eat they go hungry,, we have
sandwich/sausage roll, wraps, or rolls
then
fruit
then
youghurt
if they dont eat sandwich they dont get fruit, if they dont eat fruit they dont get dessert, its their choice and eventualy they do learn that its what I give them or nothing,
I wont let parents send food from home anymore due to one child bringing nothing but c**p and all the kids getting upset cause they coudlnt have the same.

I do the same x

Bridey
16-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I have a two pudding system for my lot (after-schoolers). Healthy cooked meal with veg/salad, piece of fruit and then what we call the 'chocolate pudding' which can be anything from a biscuit to a little cake or a bowl of custard. You don't get your 'chocolate pudding' if you haven't eaten to my satisfaction. If you are full before your 'chocolate pudding' but ate well then you get to take it home.

PaulaR
16-04-2012, 05:36 PM
I've had a 3 year old child since January who refused point blank to eat fruit. He pushed the plate away.
Very slowly he started to nibble the apple, while I bribed him with a bread stcik, and now he will eat two slices of apple. We also made carrot and banana cake and he helped put all the ingredients in the bowl and did eat some of the finished cake.
Children do adapt to new surroundings and new rules. I wouldn't let one child eat junk while the others ate well, they would have to go without.

nokidshere
17-04-2012, 07:24 AM
I cook a full meal every evening for mine. I cook one meal. If they don't eat it then they go home without. I always make it clear to the parents that that is what will happen when we do the contract. I do not provide alternative meals (obviously I do if there is a dietary requirement). I do not allow food from home.

But perserverance is the key. I feed up to 10 children each day. A few have been described as "fussy" by their parents when they start with me but most eat fairly well when they can see the others getting dinner then pudding and they decide that they want it. For those that are a bit fussier i keep the portions small and give lots of praise but I don't give in.