PDA

View Full Version : SEF question re safety

jadavi
15-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi I am editing my sef and noticed I had written all about risk assessment and safety checks etc in the safeguarding box. The only other box is 'how safe children feel in my setting'
I have the feeling that safeguarding only refers to abuse, assault etc. Should my risk assessment stuff go in the other box? It's weirdly phrased as the children feel safe through bonding and reassurance not risk assessments. But there is no clear health and safety box that I can see.
Sorry if this sounds a thick question ...

jadavi
15-04-2012, 07:34 AM
posting again ...

jadavi
15-04-2012, 01:03 PM
and again... guess this question doesn't float anyone's boat on a sunday afternoon haha xx

BucksCM
15-04-2012, 01:08 PM
and again... guess this question doesn't float anyone's boat on a sunday afternoon haha xx

Sorry, I have read this but as I refuse to do a SEF i wouldn't know how to help you!

The Juggler
15-04-2012, 01:31 PM
i would just say whatever you want to say hon, stick it in a box somewhere as long as you say it, they will read it :thumbsup:

QualityCare
15-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I can't remember what l did on mine but yes safeguarding would be just that but could also include risk assessments especially on outings regarding strangers, and how do the children feel safe would include what you do to help them feel safe like you say bonding etc but also by doing risk assessments to keep them safe helps them to feel safe.

loocyloo
15-04-2012, 05:58 PM
i would just say whatever you want to say hon, stick it in a box somewhere as long as you say it, they will read it :thumbsup:

:laughing: thats what i do! and then constantly refer them back to other ( all ;) ) boxes!

sarah707
15-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Safeguarding is as you say about keeping children safe from harm - risk assessments, teaching about road safety and stranger danger etc.

The first question has a different slant - how safe do children feel? So you need to turn your answers round rather than listing how you keep them safe.

Children feel safe in my house because they are secure in their boundaries. They know what is expected of them and they respond positively to praise when they do things appropriately.

Children feel safe because they understand the gates and fences are there to keep intruders out. We talk about stranger danger and... blah blah.

Just look at it from the point of view of the child :D

Ali56
15-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I have read this but as I refuse to do a SEF i wouldn't know how to help you!

Debbie I am glad I'mnot the only one! BUT I was speaking to my CMDO recently and she was saying that we'll have to now. A part of the ofsted inspection now requires that it is done to provide 'evidence' of self reflection and something else I can't remember without moving!
It seems now that in order to get at least a good in our inspection we will have to. I really hate being forced into doing it, but have decided I'll have to have a go. If I don't get a good I can't remain accredited :mad:
I'm very sorry jadavi for hijacking your thread. But in regards to your sef-it seems from looking at it that most boxes will cross reference with at least one other, and so in this case I would just put see Q(whatever it is) and leave it at that. There seems no point in answering multiple questions with the same reply! Grr :censored: SEF !!

julie w
15-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Hi sorry I'm going off the subject a little. I didnt fancy doing a SEF, but just to say I'm so glad I did. The ofsted inspector read mine before my inspection, and when she came she said the SEF told her nearly everything she needed to know about me and my setting and therefore she was only here about an hour and 15 mins, instead of hours as seems usual.xx

BucksCM
16-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Debbie I am glad I'mnot the only one! BUT I was speaking to my CMDO recently and she was saying that we'll have to now. A part of the ofsted inspection now requires that it is done to provide 'evidence' of self reflection and something else I can't remember without moving!
It seems now that in order to get at least a good in our inspection we will have to. I really hate being forced into doing it, but have decided I'll have to have a go. If I don't get a good I can't remain accredited :mad:
I'm very sorry jadavi for hijacking your thread. But in regards to your sef-it seems from looking at it that most boxes will cross reference with at least one other, and so in this case I would just put see Q(whatever it is) and leave it at that. There seems no point in answering multiple questions with the same reply! Grr :censored: SEF !!

Nope...that's wrong.
You do have to show how you are improving and self evaluating but you don't have to do the form. It's not a legal requirement, just a recommended one.
I have never done one, was ofsteded last year and got a Good (with 2 outstandings) so it is possible.

Personally, I hate the fact that we kept being told from all angles that we should cut down on paperwork, to concentrate on the children...but then on the other hand also being told that if paperwork is not up to date then we will get marked down!?! I mean little things like "you need to make sure that you sign each and every one of your RAs" Mmmm?...my business, Ive written all the paperwork myself so why would I then need to sign it? "to prove it's your work" OK...but they are actually printed sheets as I did them on my laptop and then printed them out, so adding my signature at the bottom proves that I wrote them??

Another reason I will not do a sef is because I personally feel that is is doing part of ofsted's job for them. Spend hours writing everything down, how you do this, how you do that...then repeat it in another box, and just for good measure again somewhere else! I thought the whole idea of having a visit is so that everything can be checked by ofsted. Questions are asked, paperwork is looked at and your practice is seen. Well, having spoken to quite a few cm who've been ofsteded and done a sef the results are different from person to person. Some have said that their sef wasn't even looked at, some have said that it was looked at but nothing was checked and some have said that although it was looked at they still went through everything and stayed hours!! So what happens when someone writes a glowing sef but doesn't actually put it into practice(yes, it does happen!)and ofsted read it but don't check? They get outstanding...they've done a sef. What if, someone like me doesn't do a sef but can prove self evaluation...I got a good. I did ask the inspector what I needed to do to get outstanding as I was close...she said a sef!!:angry::angry: And yet all I hear is you can't be marked down for not doing it as it is not compulsary!!:angry:

So until tribal/ofsted can train their inspectors to each be reading from the same book and checking each cm the same way I will be making them work for their money and stay most of the day checking me and my paperwork properly.:thumbsup:I will continue to NOT do a sef until such time that is becomes a legal requirement.:D

<jumps off soap box>

BucksCM
16-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi sorry I'm going off the subject a little. I didnt fancy doing a SEF, but just to say I'm so glad I did. The ofsted inspector read mine before my inspection, and when she came she said the SEF told her nearly everything she needed to know about me and my setting and therefore she was only here about an hour and 15 mins, instead of hours as seems usual.xx

Well you're one of the lucky ones :D
I know cm who have spent HOURS on their sef to not have it looked at.

I still won't be doing one though, I have enough paperwork to do!

Ali56
17-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Nope...that's wrong.
You do have to show how you are improving and self evaluating but you don't have to do the form. It's not a legal requirement, just a recommended one.
I have never done one, was ofsteded last year and got a Good (with 2 outstandings) so it is possible.

Personally, I hate the fact that we kept being told from all angles that we should cut down on paperwork, to concentrate on the children...but then on the other hand also being told that if paperwork is not up to date then we will get marked down!?! I mean little things like "you need to make sure that you sign each and every one of your RAs" Mmmm?...my business, Ive written all the paperwork myself so why would I then need to sign it? "to prove it's your work" OK...but they are actually printed sheets as I did them on my laptop and then printed them out, so adding my signature at the bottom proves that I wrote them??

Another reason I will not do a sef is because I personally feel that is is doing part of ofsted's job for them. Spend hours writing everything down, how you do this, how you do that...then repeat it in another box, and just for good measure again somewhere else! I thought the whole idea of having a visit is so that everything can be checked by ofsted. Questions are asked, paperwork is looked at and your practice is seen. Well, having spoken to quite a few cm who've been ofsteded and done a sef the results are different from person to person. Some have said that their sef wasn't even looked at, some have said that it was looked at but nothing was checked and some have said that although it was looked at they still went through everything and stayed hours!! So what happens when someone writes a glowing sef but doesn't actually put it into practice(yes, it does happen!)and ofsted read it but don't check? They get outstanding...they've done a sef. What if, someone like me doesn't do a sef but can prove self evaluation...I got a good. I did ask the inspector what I needed to do to get outstanding as I was close...she said a sef!!:angry::angry: And yet all I hear is you can't be marked down for not doing it as it is not compulsary!!:angry:

So until tribal/ofsted can train their inspectors to each be reading from the same book and checking each cm the same way I will be making them work for their money and stay most of the day checking me and my paperwork properly.:thumbsup:I will continue to NOT do a sef until such time that is becomes a legal requirement.:D

<jumps off soap box>

I may join you up there again then, Its so hard to know what to do. I disagree with the sef wholeheartedly and, like you have plenty of paperwork already which shows what I do. They can work for their money here too! My trouble is that I was one of the first in the country to be 'OFSTEDed' under the eyfs and so it was all still a bit vague, now the cmdo says its necesary to sef but all I can do is look at it and sigh at at the thought of yet more paperwork to do. I agree to with you that an hour and a half every 3-4 years is not enough time to see how a childminder works regardless of how shiny and fab the paperwork is, and then to get an outstanding. (I have a good with 3 bits of outstanding-and paperwork is not one of them!)