PDA

View Full Version : Which thermometer do you use for taking a child's temperature?

clorogue
14-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Just wondered what thermometer you use when a child is ill - what works best for you?

Thanks

loocyloo
14-04-2012, 06:13 PM
i don't use one!

don't have one in the house!

i used to have a forehead one, but found it useless. ( about 20 years ago )

everyone is slightly different, and once you know the child, you can see what is 'hot' for them! i just put the back of my hand on the childs back. Dr said that was fine, and i didn't need to know HOW hot a child was ( my own or minded ) ... either they were well, or ill, and usually a temp arrives with other symptons, as otherwise, why would you check temp?

Monkey26
14-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Braun ThermoScan :thumbsup:

loopyloopy
14-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Braun ThermoScan :thumbsup:

I have this one too. Previously had the neurofen one but it was giving false readings.

The thermoscan is a good one :thumbsup:

Monkey26
14-04-2012, 07:04 PM
I have this one too. Previously had the neurofen one but it was giving false readings.

The thermoscan is a good one :thumbsup:

I work at a hospital as well and it is one of the ones we use there in certain departments so that was good enough for me to buy it! Especially as i purchased it when on offer in Tesco haha :laughing: xx

curlywurly
14-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I have that one too. It's very good.

sweets
14-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I have a hand and a phone to use to ring parents to collect hot children!:laughing:

rickysmiths
14-04-2012, 08:49 PM
i don't use one!

don't have one in the house!

i used to have a forehead one, but found it useless. ( about 20 years ago )

everyone is slightly different, and once you know the child, you can see what is 'hot' for them! i just put the back of my hand on the childs back. Dr said that was fine, and i didn't need to know HOW hot a child was ( my own or minded ) ... either they were well, or ill, and usually a temp arrives with other symptons, as otherwise, why would you check temp?

This is me as well :thumbsup:

blue bear
14-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I use a digital one under the arm, I take normal temp so know if It's raised when I take temp when Poorly.

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Braun Thermoscan here too. Its an 'in ear' thermometer and gives accurate readings in seconds, means you don't have to mess about with a strip of plastic on a wriggling two year olds head. Cost a lot but has been worth it's weight because parents don't argue with it.

SammyM
15-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Yes, thermoscan for me too.....

mrs robbie williams
15-04-2012, 06:57 AM
ive got nurofen digital one xx

jadavi
15-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Is this a safety requirement? Don't have one...

Dragonfly
15-04-2012, 07:42 AM
No as I believe it is not a safety requirement and i dont have one. Im not sure about taking other peoples childrens temperatures. If they are ill ring for them to be collected, you can tell if they are ill without a thermometer?

Bridey
15-04-2012, 07:45 AM
I've never had a thermometer for my own child, or anyone else's.

The Juggler
15-04-2012, 07:49 AM
i do use digital thermometers. if a child is warm i want to know if their temp is 37 or 39 - I have had friends who have children with febrile convulsions and don't want that happening so i want to know how high it is so I can get permission and administer calpol if need be.

Also if you do have a parent who is tricky about picking up when their child is ill - telling them their child has a temp of 38 or more will make it harder for them to argue about coming.

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2012, 08:00 AM
i

Also if you do have a parent who is tricky about picking up when their child is ill - telling them their child has a temp of 38 or more will make it harder for them to argue about coming.

this is exactly why i have one. Saying little Jonny is a bit off colour and feels very warm is often met with, 'see how he is in an hour' whereas Jonny has a temperature of 38 degrees, looks off colour is more likely to get an I'll come and get him response.

Tealady
15-04-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm paranoid about temperatures as my DS was hospitalised at three months with Strep Pneumonia.:blush: His temperature rocketed in a very short space of time and when I was ringing doctors for an emergency appointment, they wanted to know exactly how hot he was (40.5 by the time we got to hospital :eek:).

Therefore whenever a child is hot now I have to know just how hot. I do only have a digital thermomenter that I stick under their arm. It's adequate but was thinking of investing in an in ear type.

rickysmiths
15-04-2012, 10:28 AM
No as I believe it is not a safety requirement and i dont have one. Im not sure about taking other peoples childrens temperatures. If they are ill ring for them to be collected, you can tell if they are ill without a thermometer?

I agree wholeheartedly. It is not my place to take a temp. I know when a child is ill or not and on the whole my parents know I don't call them home on a whim.

rickysmiths
15-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm paranoid about temperatures as my DS was hospitalised at three months with Strep Pneumonia.:blush: His temperature rocketed in a very short space of time and when I was ringing doctors for an emergency appointment, they wanted to know exactly how hot he was (40.5 by the time we got to hospital :eek:).

Therefore whenever a child is hot now I have to know just how hot. I do only have a digital thermomenter that I stick under their arm. It's adequate but was thinking of investing in an in ear type.

How interesting. My dd had the same thing at 3 months and I rang our GP who was at the house before I put the phone down. Our GPs and Health Visitor said not to bother with a thermometer because you know when a child has a temp and you respond it doesn't matter then if it is a degree over or 4 degrees you still need to take measures to reduce the temp.

Personally I have never kept Calpol in the house for mindees to use and I make this clear to all my parents. I can reduce a temp fairly rapidly without and the parents have to get to me as quickly as they can. If I feel it is more serious I would call an ambulance who have people who are trained to deal with a more serious episode.

Dragonfly
15-04-2012, 12:44 PM
My children are in their twenty's and I never used one for them.Same as Rickysmith I dont keep calpol at my house either and never have.

The Juggler
15-04-2012, 12:54 PM
i see both viewpoints but have been notoriously wrong as a mum and minder. feeling children I thought a bit warm on taking temp have been above 38 and when I thought they were really hot, temp was only just 37 so I prefer to have some guidance.

I rarely give calpol even with a child a bit warm I just undress them but if their temp shoots up quickly to 38+ then I would rather give calpol to be on the safe side.

just a personal preference.

sarah707
15-04-2012, 01:33 PM
On my recent first aid course we were told that we should only use accurate thermometers - why bother taking a reading if you are not sure you will get a proper result?

We should use ones with disposable card covers for the ear bit - and only use them once.

High temperatures can be a sign in some children that they are about to have a febrile convulsion so should be monitored carefully. This is one reason why permission should be in place to give medication immediately (rather than waiting - especially if parents live a distance away).

Hth :D

The Juggler
15-04-2012, 01:35 PM
On my recent first aid course we were told that we should only use accurate thermometers - why bother taking a reading if you are not sure you will get a proper result?

We should use ones with disposable card covers for the ear bit - and only use them once.

High temperatures can be a sign in some children that they are about to have a febrile convulsion so should be monitored carefully. This is one reason why permission should be in place to give medication immediately (rather than waiting - especially if parents live a distance away).

Hth :D

i really want to get an ear thermometer but they are sooo expensive. I use the underarm digi ones and am aware that real temp can be at least 2-5 degrees higher so if the underarm is 37.5 I worry and call parents.

flowerpots
15-04-2012, 03:22 PM
I always use a thermometer on children, my son suffered with febrile convulsions when he was younger. The docs and also NHS direct have always insisted on a temp reading when i have called in the past so would rather the parents had a log of temp checks just in case. :)

loocyloo
15-04-2012, 03:33 PM
my DS also had febrile convulsions, which is one of the reasons i DON'T have one! as soon as he got hot, i would strip down, tepid sponge, give ice lolly ( !!! advice from peadiatrician ;) ) and then give calpol if still couldn't lower temp.

i've never been asked how hot a child is when phoning Dr/nhs direct or hospital!

clorogue
15-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I must admit I wouldn't be without one, but I thought we had to have one. Also with regard to Calpol, we were told at first aid course that we should never use our own but each child to have there own named with a label on kept here or in their bag. Saying that I would only use it if I absolutely had to and always stress that to parents.

With regard to the thermometer I have the digital one under the arm - but the thermoscan sounds really good!

Ali56
15-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I have a digital thermometer which can be used under the armpit. I rarely use it thought. I think that it is usually clear to see when a child is ill. I did recently use it tho when a little one in my care seemed just a bit off colour, then suddenly went downhill :( His temp shot up to 39.5-add to that the half a degree you need to make the same reading as taking temp orally and it was 40 degrees. Mum took him straight to docs-poor little man.

PaulaR
16-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I brought this up on my first aid course as I was told we shouldn't take childrens temperatures.
We are not nurses so we shouldn't take their temperature, the machinery might be faulty, we could use the machinery wrong.
So if they child feels hot or looks unwell, mum should come and collect. We all know when one of our kids are off colour and they should just go home.

Tazmin68
09-05-2012, 02:46 AM
I have the nurofen one but they have stopped making the probe covers for the ear. Am looking at the Vicks one which you put behind the ear do no probe covers to worry about. Rather annoying as instructions specific about using the probe covers.