PDA

View Full Version : Dog and garden

danielly124
14-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi guys I'm in the process of tidying my garden and making it safe for my mindees. I just wondered if you had an area cornered off for your dogs? As my dog has no interaction with my and two of them have fears of animals but wondered if I should have a separte area for him or just do all the necessary checks before we go out in the garden as he won't be out with us? Thanks

AliceK
14-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi
I don't think it's a requirement to have a separate area for your dog but you obviously need to keep the children safe and personally I know with my dog, who can poo for England that even when I pick up the poo there is still little residue left over, sorry tmi. Also there will be wee on the grass. So in my case, for my own peace of mind I have a separate area for my dog but that's just the way I prefer it. Also it means that when the children leave toys around the garden i know the dog can't get to them and sit and chew them.

xxxx

danielly124
14-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Thank you Alice I think I will go ahead and separte the garden thanks for your advice have a lovely weekend xx

LauraS
14-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi
I don't think it's a requirement to have a separate area for your dog but you obviously need to keep the children safe and personally I know with my dog, who can poo for England that even when I pick up the poo there is still little residue left over, sorry tmi. Also there will be wee on the grass. So in my case, for my own peace of mind I have a separate area for my dog but that's just the way I prefer it. Also it means that when the children leave toys around the garden i know the dog can't get to them and sit and chew them.

xxxx

That's exactly why our dog isn't allowed in our garden, and never has been. However carefully you remove the poo the residue will remain, and the wee will always be there. Bleurghhhhhhhh.

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2012, 06:15 AM
My dogs have now got a large dog pen (10foot x 5 foot) in our garden, that's their space and the rest is ours. They don't like it much at the moment but I'm hoping we'll get there...

Dragonfly
15-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Just out of curiosity people with dogs, were you brought up with a pet dog? if so was the dog 'fenced off' so it was them and you?. Can understand not wanting childeren to touch poo ( but hosing the area after use would be okay) I think if you have a animal its part of the family and as long as it is (very important) wormed and frontlined I wouldnt be paranoid about it having a wee in the garden! children wash their hands when coming in.
Im sorry but I have a 12month old dog and he is only separated for short periods( when i have a very young child) of the day and I do not have a fenced of piece of the garden, does that make me bad? I have chickens too but they are in a run most of the time.

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Just out of curiosity people with dogs, were you brought up with a pet dog? if so was the dog 'fenced off' so it was them and you?. Can understand not wanting childeren to touch poo ( but hosing the area after use would be okay) I think if you have a animal its part of the family and as long as it is (very important) wormed and frontlined I wouldnt be paranoid about it having a wee in the garden! children wash their hands when coming in.
Im sorry but I have a 12month old dog and he is only separated for short periods( when i have a very young child) of the day and I do not have a fenced of piece of the garden, does that make me bad? I have chickens too but they are in a run most of the time.

No I wasn't bought up with a dog so can't answer that question.

My dogs are very much part of family life inside the house where they are being watched constantly when I'm working, but they are both young dogs and when in the garden tend to be very playful which is why they are in a pen - 30 kg of running Labrador slamming into a 80cm tall child could do considerable damage and that's just when they're playing. Poor dog has no spacial awareness when he's playing with his little sister...
Of course there is also the obvious pee and poo problem of two dogs and a small garden.

Also if I am totally honest, it is to protect the dogs from the children. Mindees are not always nice kind children and I've caught them hurting the dogs on more than one occasion.

Dragonfly
15-04-2012, 04:46 PM
I do understand that, that is why mine are only separated with small children (he usually takes himself off to lay on my bed, or to another room so his not in the way), and also my dog isnt that weight or jumping about..
I know a minder whos 2 dogs are kept in one room most of the day away from the children even though they are very good dogs, and as a responsible person i know you have to protect the dog from the children as well as the other way round!!

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I do understand that, that is why mine are only separated with small children (he usually takes himself off to lay on my bed, or to another room so his not in the way), and also my dog isnt that weight or jumping about..
I know a minder whos 2 dogs are kept in one room most of the day away from the children even though they are very good dogs, and as a responsible person i know you have to protect the dog from the children as well as the other way round!!

Sorry, do you think i was getting at you in some way? If so then i humbly apologise as that wasn't my intention. I was just explaining why I choose to put my dogs in a pen at some points during the day. I'm mortified that my post could have been taken any other way than how it was meant, i am so sorry.

mushpea
15-04-2012, 06:55 PM
my dog now has a fenced of area of the garden as he did cock his leg over a ride on toy and although i washed it down with detol I didnt like this idea for neither my kids or mindees, he only goes down there when he askes to go out other than that he has free run around the children if I am there with them, we have all block paved garden so its easy to wash down but even so I dont like the idea of him just peeing or pooping everywhere.

PixiePetal
15-04-2012, 07:58 PM
our dog has free run of the garden. She is a little terrier who keeps out of the way of the children as much as she can! I have an area fenced for the children and the dog has the rest - mind you the garden is about .25 of an acre in total :)

She has a cage indoors to keep her and the children safe:thumbsup:

Dragonfly
16-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Not at all onceinabluemoon. I think we're all responsible childminders but all have different ways. Be boring if we were all the same.

Kezzle
16-04-2012, 08:26 PM
This is interesting i have thee tiniest garden and i am not keen on the idea of dog pooing in same area's as children go out to play in... even though i was brought up with dogs all my life and they were never caged off and i probably played where they poo'd *ew*

I do feel i should seperate my garden but i just don't think it's going to be possible there wouldn't be any room to swing a cat (and i have one of those too but she's not a very outdoors type so no chance of poo in the flower beds from her!) I am lucky in the fact that i do live a few hundred yards from a massive park... but i do worry about irresponsible dog owners not picking up after their dogs in there.

I think for me my german shep won't be out with us in the garden cos she's about half the size of the garden and double the size of a child. Indoors though she likes sleeping in the utility right up against the back door and i have stuck a baby 'stair' gate in the doorway so she can see us but won't come and get in the way. Plus with very small children they can get as close as they want without the risk of being knocked down. And Doggy still has a space she can call hers.

Dragonfly
17-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Yes I total understand the dog poo thing. but Im lucky as I take my dog over the fields at 6am and go round 2 fields! so I dont really have poo in the garden (he goes out again late pm and I am one of those that gets angry if dog poo isnt picked up, unless in the middle of a crop field where I cant get to).I wouldnt want children playing near it.
I like your arrangement Kezzle.:thumbsup: