PDA

View Full Version : re-sitting GCSE for CYPW?

lucyD
14-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Hoping to get on my local Adult Ed CYPW level 3 course soon while still part funded (£120) to pay which is FAB!! Anyway a friend who CM in Southampton told me that I will also need to resit my maths & english GCSE even though I did it years ago as you need to resit if its more than 3 years ago?

Does anyone know if this is the case? My basic maths is good but not sure about anything else & I got an E back in 1993 :panic:

blue bear
14-04-2012, 10:03 AM
contact your provider, I've just googled it and found a course being run by west Lancashire college, their entry requirements are; must be working in relevant environment and be able to achieve key skills.

mindingmummy08
14-04-2012, 10:23 AM
I've started mine and I don't have to resit any gcse's but Key Skills is part of the course, I did a quick assesment in maths and english online and that highlighted any weak areas for me to do activities in ie. apostrophes and then in 4 weeks I have to retake the assesment then I get a certificate in key skills.

I'm doing mine with aspirations so I imagine its different with everyone but it was easy peasy (apart from stupid apostrophes which I am still getting wrong.)

:)

rickysmiths
14-04-2012, 10:56 AM
I have just done mine and we had to complete an assessment test in Maths and English before we started. Then we did a very small amount of Maths and English plus a test on each of our monthly study days. Then we were entered for an externally set exam in each, mine were set by Edxel and we were told they were a GCSE but it became very clear having had my own two children sit the GCSEs in the last 3 years, that the standard required is nothing like GCSE!

It is relatively straight forward but there were two English Papers of 1.5 hrs each and the Maths which was an hour. I passed all three with doing very little work, I just looked at a couple of past papers. The joke was that even when we had passed the exams we still had to do the work and the tests at study days because it was part of the course!!!

funemnx
14-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I have just about finished my CYPW 3 and although there was a quick asessment at the beginning, no one in our course has had to do any other tests or exams. It seems there are different requirements depending where you live.

Kezzle
14-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Hoping to get on my local Adult Ed CYPW level 3 course soon while still part funded (£120) to pay which is FAB!! Anyway a friend who CM in Southampton told me that I will also need to resit my maths & english GCSE even though I did it years ago as you need to resit if its more than 3 years ago?

Does anyone know if this is the case? My basic maths is good but not sure about anything else & I got an E back in 1993 :panic:

The basics i've seen written in my area are usually must hold an A-C grade in maths and english. I have a feeling i will have to do some sort of competancy/gcse re-sit for my maths when time comes as i got a D! got B's in english tho :)

Kezzle
14-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I've started mine and I don't have to resit any gcse's but Key Skills is part of the course, I did a quick assesment in maths and english online and that highlighted any weak areas for me to do activities in ie. apostrophes and then in 4 weeks I have to retake the assesment then I get a certificate in key skills.

I'm doing mine with aspirations so I imagine its different with everyone but it was easy peasy (apart from stupid apostrophes which I am still getting wrong.)

:)

Have you seen those books 'My grammar and I' and 'I before E except after C'? They might be handy in helping with the apostrophes. You can look inside them on amazon. ( I just checked it's the 'My grammar and I( or should that be me)' book which has a bit on apostrophes.

onceinabluemoon
15-04-2012, 05:26 AM
I'm doing it and nobody has mentioned anything about engish and math.

jumping j
15-04-2012, 06:36 AM
I did this last year and english and maths resits/refreshers were given to us as an option if we wanted a refresher, I don't know if anyone took them up but I think people who struggle writing essays etc. might have benefitted from the help. For some people it's a long time since they've written an essay and they struggle with focussing thoughts and setting out ideas.
I don't think it was a must to do the course I think it was just an offer of help

lucyD
16-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Great thank you. Will be speaking to someone about it this week so I will ask, just went into a panic at the thought of fractions, & long division!!! ha ha