PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a 7 seater car or not?

greenfields
14-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Who hasn't got a 7 seater?
How do you manage without one?
Could you not imagine not having a 7 seater?
Do you have more than 2-4 mindees? Surely this means you can't take on six children at any one time without a 7 seater to get out and about.

OH and I are discussing my options. I'm newly registered so don't want to buy a 7 seater if it's not needed. I'm due a new car so a spacious 5 seater would be greatly appreciated now anyway. ;)

Any advice?

VeggieSausage
14-04-2012, 08:08 AM
I personally wouldn't rush into getting a 7 seater, I am in my second year of minding have have literally had 3 days where a 7 seater would have been handy - but we just did the local park and walkable activities instead.....but I do live close to parks etc. If you are going to buy a new car anyway then I think I would consider it but if not I would start minding with what you have and see how you get on. Did that make sense!!! lol

blue bear
14-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I do have a seven seater but didn't when first started out, for some strange reason the social worker would only register me for the number of children I could transport in my car.

Unless you are reliant on your car to do your job, I can't see why a seven seater is essential, I sometimes have 9 children and have no intention of getting a mini bus!

greenfields
14-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes that makes perfect sense. But the car I've got now isn't really suitable for childminding and I'm due an upgrade soon. I'm just looking for now. We looked at a Citroen grande Picasso but I'd like a Hyundai. Some of the Hyundais are so spacious I'm wondering if I'll really be getting that much more room with a Picasso - if I remember correctly the boot isn't big unless you put a seat or 2 down so no longer really a 7 seater.

Chimps Childminding
14-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I have a 7 seater, but only because I had 4 sons of my own (grown up now) so needed a big car anyway!!!

I do need the 7 seats for doing the school run (as it is too far to walk along a really narrow path next to a main road) but as I am only registered for 3 under 5's if it weren't for the school run I wouldn't need 7 seats.

I suppose it depends on whether you need to fit schoolies etc in or whether you can walk!!

greenfields
14-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I do have a seven seater but didn't when first started out, for some strange reason the social worker would only register me for the number of children I could transport in my car.

Unless you are reliant on your car to do your job, I can't see why a seven seater is essential, I sometimes have 9 children and have no intention of getting a mini bus!

That does seem strange!! For now I am registered for 4 children under 8yrs but I'm thinking I may have school runs to do with children over 8. I would have been happy to be registered for 5 children but this has been calculated on the size of our house. We will eventually extend the house with a conservatory but that may not be for a yr or 2.

greenfields
14-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I have a 7 seater, but only because I had 4 sons of my own (grown up now) so needed a big car anyway!!!

I do need the 7 seats for doing the school run (as it is too far to walk along a really narrow path next to a main road) but as I am only registered for 3 under 5's if it weren't for the school run I wouldn't need 7 seats.

I suppose it depends on whether you need to fit schoolies etc in or whether you can walk!!

No I can't walk to the school. I'd need to take the car. Decisions, decisions. The other option would be not to do school runs but that might not be sensible - if I have a parent who wants me full time for a baby but also wants me to take older child to and from school, I'd be daft to say no!

Demonjill
14-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I have a seven seater and love it:thumbsup:

I love that its practical so i can have lots of combinations of seats up and down, all seats down i have a massive boot for going to the dump or IKEA:clapping: back seats down for lots of tesco shopping.

I have 2 kids of my own - DD is 14 so not often in car at same time as mindees although she did come a few times in hols (great help to me :D)so with a 5 seater that couldnt have happened.
Im also in Scotland so we are very limited with our numbers im only allowed 6 kids (total) at any 1 time that includes my own but then im driving so thats where 7 seats comes in.

tbh i usually use 5 seats max but dont like 3 in middle row so usually always use the back row and its 2 seats move independantly:thumbsup:

AliceK
14-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I do have a 7 seater and I love the space for us personally as a family. I don't actually NEED my car at all for my job but it's reassuring to know I have the space if I do decide to go somewhere. There was a time when I got rid of my old 7 seater (Ford Galaxy) and had a temporary car until I bought my new car, the temp car was an old VW Golf. 3 door. But I could still get 3 seats in the back and 1 older child in the front so it wasn't too bad. I would say if you actually NEED to use your car for your job then you'd be silly not to get a 7 seater when you change.

xxx

rickysmiths
14-04-2012, 11:44 AM
I have never had a seven seater. I don't need to use one when I am not childminding so I have resisted buying one for cm. I tend to have 3 or 4 under 4s and only pick up older ones from the local school that I walk to.

My dh is registered as my assistant and had done First Aid so in the holidays if I have any older ones which for me is rare, we can use his car as well. We can of course use his car for him and our two if they are all coming on an outing.

nikki thomson
14-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I do I need one as my children and the two scoolies I look after all go to school
In the next village so drive every day, I have 3 children of my own so that left one space for an eyfs, so works out perfectly.
I love my car and the freedom it gives me I just couldn''t imagine not being able to just get in the car and go, but we are very rural so on a practical level it's needed to. X

greenfields
14-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I haven't got children if my own and I really want an economical car considering fuel prices these days. The reason I need to change is because I have a 3 door old type yards and getting an under 1yr old is difficult enough crouching on the back. I can get 2 seats in the car.

2kidsunder5
14-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I have a 7 seater and couldn't be without it. My own sons school is 2 miles away so I need to use the car to take him and collect him, my daughter was there last year too. I mind 3 under 5's so no way could I have managed without my Zaffy (Zafira)

Also, I feel so much safer in a bigger car, silly I know, but true. The downside is when all 7 seats are being used their isn't enough room for my double pram :-(

jumping j
14-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I started minding with a 'normal' car but couldn't be without my 7 seater now, it's been great over the easter holidays when I've had 5 lo's most days, and they love the novelty of sitting in the 'boot', we've been able to go on outings and sit in comfort.
I didn't get one until my business got going though, I couldn't justify the expense until I had enough children to fill the car :laughing:

greenfields
14-04-2012, 04:19 PM
This is the thing. The car I've got now just isn't childminding friendly and certainly won't be useable for more than 2 children. So I'm doing the researching and saving now. At the same time I don't want to have 3 or 4 mindees and end up driving a 7 seater around!
:o

Monkey26
14-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I lasted 8 months with a 'normal' car!!
Then had my 7 seater Renault grand scenic for just over 4 years and this month i have bought an 8 seater Citroen c8... xx

Oh and i don't have any children of my own!!! xx

mama2three
14-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I havent - and yes Im restricted to walking at certain times - but if i took on extra children i would need a 7 seater for the school holidays to get further afield. However , what I would gain in income from extra mindees I would be spending on the extra costs involved in having a larger car. Doesnt make sense to me!

funemnx
14-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I had an 8 seater which was very handy in the holidays when I had more children but now I only have a Peugot 106 - I can fit 4 children in car seats/boosters for during term time with no problem. Some days in the holidays I have more than 4 children and we stay in the village which has plenty to offer. However, if I find I have 6 children every day in the holidays in the future, I might consider getting a people carrier again as I wouldn't want to be restricted to the village every day, especially in the summer holidays!

little chickee
14-04-2012, 06:44 PM
I have a 7 seater but bought it before i was even thinking about minding.
I bought it as i have 3 kids of my own and i wanted to have space for the MIL or for my kids to take a friend on a day out.

I now wouldnt go down to a 5 seat car even if i stopped minding.
In the hols i have my 3 and 3 mindees (plus me of course) so would be stuck at home all the time. the only thing within walking distance is the wee shop and the playpark.

I had an Renault Espace and now have a Seat Alhambra but the car of my dreams is a brand new Chrysler Voyager!

EmmaReed84
14-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I registered in June and by the September I had 5 children on two days, so those days I have to walk to two schools which were 15 minutes apart, which wasn't bad... especially with that indian summer we had.

DH lost his company car and was given £2k to replace, we managed to find a real bargin, 03 plate Zafaria, only 38k on the clock, full service history only £1800. If you shop about you can get some excellent deals. We had other reason for getting a 7 seater besides CM. If it is the ONLY reason I would think long and hard about it, but if it works for you then go for it

greenfields
14-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I havent - and yes Im restricted to walking at certain times - but if i took on extra children i would need a 7 seater for the school holidays to get further afield. However , what I would gain in income from extra mindees I would be spending on the extra costs involved in having a larger car. Doesnt make sense to me!
This is one way of my thinking too!

greenfields
14-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks all you are giving me food for thought.
I went to put the new pushchair in my car earlier, just to double check the fit. I didn't think it'd be a problem but guess what, it doesn't fit!
I love my little car but it's not for childminding. I just have to make my mind up - 5 seater or 7. At least know I have some opinions to think about. :thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
14-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks all you are giving me food for thought.
I went to put the new pushchair in my car earlier, just to double check the fit. I didn't think it'd be a problem but guess what, it doesn't fit!
I love my little car but it's not for childminding. I just have to make my mind up - 5 seater or 7. At least know I have some opinions to think about. :thumbsup:

Depending on the price differences and running cost I would be thinking get the 7 seater as you dont have to use all the seats, but you can't add seat to a 5 seater lol :thumbsup:

Also if you dont use all 7 seats think of that gorgeous massive boot space for them shopping bags :D :thumbsup:

greenfields
15-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Depending on the price differences and running cost I would be thinking get the 7 seater as you dont have to use all the seats, but you can't add seat to a 5 seater lol :thumbsup:

Also if you dont use all 7 seats think of that gorgeous massive boot space for them shopping bags :D :thumbsup:

Oo Emma you should be a car sales lady, you are very persuasive!

EmmaReed84
15-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Oo Emma you should be a car sales lady, you are very persuasive!

ha ha ha, used to sell phones lol... But I was a nice (on pushy) one.

Have to admit I do love my 7 seater though, next I think I will get a Galaxy. They look lush! Vey jealous of my MIL black one with tinted windows... keep offering to swap but she is having none of it... :rolleyes:

jumping j
16-04-2012, 07:03 AM
On the running costs side of things, I haven't found my 7 seater much more expensive.
I used to have an 1.1 petrol R reg peugeot 106, I now have a 53 plate 2L turbo diesel Zafira.
The insurance went up by £100 but £35 was admin costs :angry: it was also at the time that they put women's insurance up so I don't know if that had anything to do with it
If anything I use less fuel, more expensive because of the rise in fuel costs, I thought there'd be a massive jump in tax but there hasn't been.
I love all the boot space, if I have 4 lo's I keep the boot seats down so that we can fit in loads of activities (parachute, bats, balls, water guns) and a picnic to go to the park, we've also had a double bugy and a pram in there to go a family outings to the park.
On a personal note it also means only one person has to drive when we all go out, rather than having to take 2/3 cars we just take mine!

winstonian
16-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Ive now got a Renault Espace and love it - we always had a Zafira before as we had 3 under 3 before I started minding.
When ny husband crashed our Zafira (I nearly killed him) we had to borrow a 5 seater car for a while and I hated it - it just seemed so cramped!

MAWI
16-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Have you considered a six seater??

I bought a 7 seater 3 years ago because I 'thought I needed one'.

Actually I walk to school and most local parks etc...

I had a VW Touran which was great for the childminding part of it but I couldn't warrant the amount of times I got in the car to the times I didn't. So I swapped it for a normal car.

I opted for a HONDA FRV because it is not a people carrier, looks like a normal car but I've got 6 full size seats and plenty of boot space. So I've lost 1 seat but I can actually fit in a double pushchair and other items or shopping in the boot at the same time.

The compromise is that if I end up having more than 5 kids I don't go in the car, but for me that's fine.