PDA

View Full Version : older ones playing out unsupervised

donnamarie2
13-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi, I've just moved house and now live on a street that lots of other children from school live on.
It's a little estate with a dead end , both sets of parents have asked if they can playout with their friends the children are 7,8,10 and these are the only ones i mind .
They are old enough to understand where they are allowed to go ,two play out front at home and the other doesn't as there is no other children so the parents want him to have a bit of independance.
Where do i stand on this? is it ok if i have permission and a policy ?
My children play out and i think it's ok but they are my kids.

Bridey
13-04-2012, 10:03 AM
There was a minder who did this locally and it was one of the reasons, listed in her Ofsted report, for why she got an inadequate rating.

I think the only way this would be acceptable would be if you sat outside your house and watched them play.

flowerpots
13-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Personally, I wouldnt do it, my nerves would be on edge the whole time. :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
13-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I am insured with NCMA because they will cover you for children playing outside.

Mine are you in cul de sac and I can see them at all times (10+ go to a field to play). Under no circumstances do I let under 8's outside as they are still covered under the ofsted ruling of "being in sight and hearing at all times" and unless I am standing at the door or window they will not be.

I have parental permission with exact instructions as to where the children can go. mine states "may play outside your house unattended as long as they don't go any further than the lamp post outside number ....)

I make sure the children understand this and I check periodically and on one occasion this was abused the child wasn't allowed out for a month! Harsh but no one has done it again

nikki thomson
13-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I think it's really really sad that children these days can't play outside unsupervised when there reaching that age of wanting more independence but when there not your children I just couldn't take the risk, if something was to happen to them I would be beside myself with guilt.
When I was 8 my mum packed me a lunch box and off I went with my friends on our bikes on an adventure for the day, not returning until the evening, couldn't even think about letting my 8 yr old son doing that. X

rhea26
13-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I think it would depend on the children as some are more mature than others, I remember in the holidays going out to play in the street and mum saying be back by the time the street lights come on!

watgem
13-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I think you would also need to read your insurance policy very carefully and be guided by that, or ask your Development Officer:)

ChocolateChip
13-04-2012, 04:53 PM
You need to check your insurance, I know MM don't allow it.
Also it is not always what your mindees are up to, there may be other children/ adults around who like to come and act like idiots just to spoil someone's day, speaking from experience! :mad:
It is a shame but I wouldn't be confident to do that here, however only you know your mindees and local area enough to judge, just make sure you have boundaries and everything in place if you decide to go ahead.

donnamarie2
15-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your opinions i'm still thinking over it.
It's a small culde sac type street so i could see the area where they would be from my window, there's a big grass bit next to my house they all seem to like.
The youngest is turning 8 in a couple of weeks so i might ring up ncma and see if i would be covered insurance wise and take it from there.