PDA

View Full Version : shift help please

mushpea
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
not had a shift worker before but have had an enquiry so would like some help please
parent would like monday - thursday between 16 and 24hrs
I can offer at the moment monday and thursday all day and tuesday and wednesdays from 1pm,, come september I can then offer all day tue and wed aswell
does a minimum of 10hours a week sound fair for what I can offer now and also what I can offer in the future.
I dont want to put her off by asking for too much but also can't afford to hold 4 days for nothing and by the sounds of it she will be doing at least 16 hours a week anyway.

jumping j
13-04-2012, 07:04 AM
I have a parent who is a shift worker but they know their hours months in advance so I charge them for what they are using.
week one is wed, thur and fri 7-2.30
week two is wed, thur 1-5.30 and fri 10-5.30
I charge a slightly higher rate per hour to cover the hours that they are not using but I don't fill the slot because the pattern can change occasionally.
I'm happy to do this because I know the family but I know a lot of CM's who charge for a full day because they can't fill the spaces.

I would say if they are definately working 16hrs charge for 16hrs minimum, then any extra can be added on at the end of the month

miffy
13-04-2012, 07:34 AM
I would say if they are definately working 16hrs charge for 16hrs minimum, then any extra can be added on at the end of the month

If you're happy to take this on then I would do as Jax suggests and charge for the minimum number of hours she will be using each week. I'd also make clear that once those hours are booked and agreed then they must be paid for even if they are cancelled.

Miffy xx

tashaleee
13-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Ive done this in the past... charged a slightly higher rate and met in the middle for hours - eg charge 20 hours a week minimum (works out a min of 5 hours per day) and if she needs more then she pays for more.... She is taking up a space which if you worked 8-6 over 4 days is 40 hours available for a max of 24 needed so you have to work out what you can afford to offer :thumbsup:

mushpea
13-04-2012, 08:02 AM
If you're happy to take this on then I would do as Jax suggests and charge for the minimum number of hours she will be using each week. I'd also make clear that once those hours are booked and agreed then they must be paid for even if they are cancelled.Miffy xx

thats a good point, hadnt really considered that,, I think I will add that in to my contracts as I do my own thanks

The Juggler
13-04-2012, 08:26 AM
to be honest hon, 16 hours over 4 days isn't a lot of hours :( I might do it for now whilst you only have half days on tues, wed, but when you have spaces on all 4 days, I'd be inclined to tell her it would be a 24 hour minimum (you are unable to take anyone else on in those spaces so could lose a lot of income.