PDA

View Full Version : Prospective first parent meeting

Kezzle
12-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I've been in contact with a parent who's looking to change childminders. This parent has mentioned about getting in touch if i'd like to meet her and her little one.

Seeing as this is the first real lead i've had since registering and would be my first meeting when i arrange it i'd love some advice on best things to do!!

Obviously i'd talk to the child make her feel welcome ask her questions and play she's 2 and a half.
What are all the important things i need to discuss with mum on first meeting?!!

Don't want to plan anything without being fully organised. I really want to make the best impression possible. :)

VINASOL
12-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I've been in contact with a parent who's looking to change childminders. This parent has mentioned about getting in touch if i'd like to meet her and her little one.

Seeing as this is the first real lead i've had since registering and would be my first meeting when i arrange it i'd love some advice on best things to do!!

Obviously i'd talk to the child make her feel welcome ask her questions and play she's 2 and a half.
What are all the important things i need to discuss with mum on first meeting?!!

Don't want to plan anything without being fully organised. I really want to make the best impression possible. :)

Try to get some toys out that she might like, that way it'll keep her busy when you talk to mum/parents.

I'm still a novice compared to lots of fab members on here, but I don't generally go straight in and try to be friends with the child...I say a nice hello at the door and say a 'hello, would you like to come in with mummy and play with some toys?' at which pointing at some toys...mum will probably be carrying lo but if child leaves mum, leave child to explore ...from my own personal experience children not like to be overwhelmed iyswim.

Do you have anythign that mum can take away? I have a little info pack which states what I do etc...but just remember to tell her the basics....how much you charge, do you have a back-up CM and if so in what circumstances would you call them, deposits (refundable or not); payment upfront; holidays (if they are charged or not)...your experience etc...if it helps start writing a list of things to go through, however, I tend to let parents do the talking first (some of them come with their own lists) and I simply do the answering whilst trying to engage the lo (oh what a clever gir/boy etc) when they do something so that they can see that you're friendly but not over-powering...for me personally it has worked and the los have voluntarily come to me with a toy etc (which has usually shocked the parents) lol

Good luck. Be yourself...but if it doesn't "feel" right...then go with your instincts:thumbsup:

Good luckxx

BucksCM
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
One of my first questions would be why is she changing childminders?
I've had a couple of calls like this over the years and have been told that they want to change because of something that has happened/been said/not been done....When I asked if they had spoken the the cm to sort things out, I was told "not really".
I do not feel happy in this sort of situation and always advise that they go back and try and sort whatever it is out. I give them advice/help as far as i can...but I have explained that if i was that cm I would be very upset that a mother was just going to look elsewhere and not talk to me and try to sort things out.
One that I am thinking of in particular was telling me things and when I met the cm at a group and put 2+2 together and realised it was her and got chatting, she had a completely different tale to tell!! The parent was a complete nightmare :eek:
Of course, this may not be the situation you are in, but i just wanted to tell you it could be a situation you'd not thought of.

Kezzle
12-04-2012, 07:49 PM
One of my first questions would be why is she changing childminders?
I've had a couple of calls like this over the years and have been told that they want to change because of something that has happened/been said/not been done....When I asked if they had spoken the the cm to sort things out, I was told "not really".
I do not feel happy in this sort of situation and always advise that they go back and try and sort whatever it is out. I give them advice/help as far as i can...but I have explained that if i was that cm I would be very upset that a mother was just going to look elsewhere and not talk to me and try to sort things out.
One that I am thinking of in particular was telling me things and when I met the cm at a group and put 2+2 together and realised it was her and got chatting, she had a completely different tale to tell!! The parent was a complete nightmare :eek:
Of course, this may not be the situation you are in, but i just wanted to tell you it could be a situation you'd not thought of.

I had thought of it and this was a question i felt should be asked face to face in a meeting scenario rather than in email which is why i've not asked yet. The parent comes across as very professional seems to understand childminding and doesn't seem to be trying to get the cheapest deal around. comes across as well off. Might be a legitamate reason like minder can no longer do 6.30am starts or something. One aspect i am not keen on but will do it if it means i get to stop working in city. :)

BucksCM
12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I had thought of it and this was a question i felt should be asked face to face in a meeting scenario rather than in email which is why i've not asked yet. The parent comes across as very professional seems to understand childminding and doesn't seem to be trying to get the cheapest deal around. comes across as well off. Might be a legitamate reason like minder can no longer do 6.30am starts or something. One aspect i am not keen on but will do it if it means i get to stop working in city. :)

In that case, Vinasol posted good advice :D
Another way to find out if she's leaving on good terms is to ask if the cm will be passing on the lj/observations etc (as lo is in EYFS)...this will also show that you are working in partnership with other providers. :D

Demonjill
12-04-2012, 10:30 PM
There are so so many people who post on here that their initial meeting either

didnt go as well as planned
the parent chose someone else or a nursery
no one got back to them

...............the list goes on :rolleyes:

so my advice would be ..

informal chat being yourself but professional to give them confidence in you
age appropriate toys out
not being too"in the childs face" IYKWIM:thumbsup:
small welcome pack not loads of paperwork
a few questions but make sure you dont accuse or probe....eg there could be a good reason they are changing CMs...( I have had 3 people change to me- two because initial CM was giving up and other because their last CM was not flexible enough - this does not mean i have to bend over backwards i dont do anything different than my others) just saying you need the full picture.

I have asked at the start why my parents chose me and they all gave different reasons

Flexible
one liked the fact my own kids were busy with activities when they had their initial visit DD was sewing her school skirt and DS was colour matching his cars and doing his homework:D looking back i thought it looked a bit staged(it wasnt) but they didnt think so:thumbsup:
the school i pick up from
nice house...lol - i like to think so
I have a pony ..ha

and several have commented on how well brought up my own kids are which is fab

flowerpots
13-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Great advice given, I would also check when the child will be turning 3, starting nursery and ask which nurseries they have put lo's name down and make sure you are happy to do a pre-school run. :thumbsup:

Kezzle
13-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Great advice given, I would also check when the child will be turning 3, starting nursery and ask which nurseries they have put lo's name down and make sure you are happy to do a pre-school run. :thumbsup:

They aren't using a nursery and are not taking up the 15 hours free entitlements. They are happy with their child being with a childminder. I asked before as i didn't want to go full steam into taking a child on full time to have hours slashed a few months later. This said they may change their mind.

Great advice so far i am deffinitely going to try to put together some kind of information pack. I'll have to go search for what others have said previously about what to include in parent packs.

Kezzle
13-04-2012, 07:02 PM
There are so so many people who post on here that their initial meeting either

didnt go as well as planned
the parent chose someone else or a nursery
no one got back to them

...............the list goes on :rolleyes:

so my advice would be ..

informal chat being yourself but professional to give them confidence in you
age appropriate toys out
not being too"in the childs face" IYKWIM:thumbsup:
small welcome pack not loads of paperwork
a few questions but make sure you dont accuse or probe....eg there could be a good reason they are changing CMs...( I have had 3 people change to me- two because initial CM was giving up and other because their last CM was not flexible enough - this does not mean i have to bend over backwards i dont do anything different than my others) just saying you need the full picture.

I have asked at the start why my parents chose me and they all gave different reasons

Flexible
one liked the fact my own kids were busy with activities when they had their initial visit DD was sewing her school skirt and DS was colour matching his cars and doing his homework:D looking back i thought it looked a bit staged(it wasnt) but they didnt think so:thumbsup:
the school i pick up from
nice house...lol - i like to think so
I have a pony ..ha

and several have commented on how well brought up my own kids are which is fab

I have a very large dog that could seem like a pony to a two year old! lol. Also discussed in email if dog was an issue and parent said that she'd love lo to get to know dogs as she had an incident with one in the park and mine is as soft as candy floss. :)