PDA

View Full Version : To website or not to website

pinkellifun
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
What does everyone do regarding websites?

I can't decide whether to create one myself or leave it for the time being?

:huh:

butterfly
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I have one and get most of my business through it. You can have a free one or pay different subscriptions depending on your needs.

silvermist
12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi,Sorry to jump in on this thread, but how do you get a free one?

butterfly
12-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi,Sorry to jump in on this thread, but how do you get a free one?

www.webeden.co.uk will host for free!

Nikki125
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I was going set one up as i think they are great but i became full within my first week of advertising so didnt seem much point in doing one, but i will def set one up once i have vacancies again. x

silvermist
12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
www.webeden.co.uk will host for free!

Thank you Butterfly :littleangel:

loocyloo
12-04-2012, 07:27 PM
pauline did mine :D its great and i get lots of compliments about it:D if you click on main website tab, then its half way down on left hand side.

i pay the forum for hosting it, and i paid pauline to put it together for me. if i need anything changing i just email pauline ( now, where are those photos i want changing :blush: ) i bought a domain name from fasthosts.

i am not technically minded at all, and this was a very easy way to get my website :D

Kezzle
12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I think a website is worth it. Looks very professional and i've had a lot of views on mine. Shame they don't contact as often. But i would deffinately go for a free hosting site and only pay for a customised domain name and link them up.:)

mushpea
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I got mine free through yola.com, i can add stuff and it has a blog which I try to update reguarly, its good to have a blog as prosepctive parents can view up to date happenings and activities and current parents can see what we get up to.

Playmate
12-04-2012, 08:57 PM
pauline did mine :D its great and i get lots of compliments about it:D if you click on main website tab, then its half way down on left hand side.

i pay the forum for hosting it, and i paid pauline to put it together for me. if i need anything changing i just email pauline ( now, where are those photos i want changing :blush: ) i bought a domain name from fasthosts.

i am not technically minded at all, and this was a very easy way to get my website :D

We did the same, we receive excellent service from Pauline and get lots of business through it :D

jumping j
13-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I did mine through yola and always advise parents to have a look, I suggest any perspective parents check it out before contacting me as it gives an overview of what I'm about and the types of things we do, it also has some of my policies and procedures on, newsletters and the song, sign and story of the month (just started doing this as I'm becoming accredited and doing the 2 year old project!)
I update the pictures regularly too with new outings and activities.

miffy
13-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I haven't got a website, have never thought I needed one as I've been minding a long time and most work comes through word of mouth but I think if I was a new childminder I'd definitely consider it as I think a lot of people use the internet to search for what they want now.

Miffy xx

Graham
13-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Pauline does excellent websites at very reasonable prices, it's an excellent way of advertising your business and if you aren't technically minded it's great because she will do everything including buying unique domain names.

All you have to do is provide the information about yourself and your business and photos and Pauline will do the rest.

Learn more here: www.childminderswebsites.co.uk

Jiorjiina
13-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I made mine myself, with a template from a website hosting company, and then I paid for a domain name.

The only thing to be wary about if you have a totally free one, is that they stay 'free' because they have advertising on them (usually a banner across the top) and you have no control over the adverts.

I pay about £6 a month to keep mine ad free.

If you are starting as a childminder and don't have the reputation and word of mouth then I think a website is brilliant, because you can provide loads of information before parents even get in touch. And because the first thing a lot of people do now is search for information on the internet.

pinkellifun
13-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Ok, I thought I was quite technologically minded but all this talk of domains and hosting is making my brain hurt :blush:

I had a go creating one on wix.com but don't understand what to do from there? Is wix the hosting site then? If so, who do I contact for a domain?

Or maybe I should just ask Pauline!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone

Playmate
13-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Ok, I thought I was quite technologically minded but all this talk of domains and hosting is making my brain hurt :blush:

I had a go creating one on wix.com but don't understand what to do from there? Is wix the hosting site then? If so, who do I contact for a domain?

Thanks everyone

I would contact Pauline, she is certainly very reasonable and a lovely lady to work with :D

Kezzle
14-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks everyone

I use wix. downside to wix being as it uses flash people looking on their mobile phones won't be able to view it. Unless you set up a mobile friendly version. You need to contact someone like heart internet for a domain name and then you can link that to wix for a small fee of about £6. Think that's what makes it ad free too? Not sure though.

If it's all too confusing i'm sure Pauline will be happy to help you :)