PDA

View Full Version : After school vs full time - working out hours

jw19nr
01-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Hello. I have had my pre reg etc so now just waiting for registration to go through. I am now starting to think about what sort of children I want to look after/take on.

Basically, I have my own 5 month old but no other children. I am allowed 3 extra children on top of her, none can be under 1 and no more than 2 under 5. I am torn between 2 options:

- To take on 3 before/after school children (obviously if I get the work) and then have the time during the school day to spend time with my LO.

- To take on 1-2 full timers and not bother with the school runs.

In some ways I think it would be great to not have school runs so I can go out for the days etc without being tyed to a time to be back to collect etc. But then I think it would be nice to have some time with my daughter with out the kids. I want to put my daughter first, but don't really know what's best.

From your experience, what would you prefer or would think was best?

chez1373
01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
If i was you i would wait and see what comes along as you might find there isnt any full timers let alone 2 or 3

It swings in round abouts really and whats best for you and your Daughter...

Good luck with what ever you choose.

manjay
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I do think you have to see what comes along. Unless you are really lucky and get exactly what you want straight away. I have a two year old and have up until now only had another child during the day for 2 days a week. I do a school run anyway as I have older children. This week I have taken another child for the other three days so will still only have 2 and know I will still be able to give my son plenty of attention. Don't forget you could have over 8s aswell so you could find that financially you could survive on filling your spaces with before/after schoolies and have the one to one time with your lo. Three after schoolers earn me the same as 1 lo during the day. It is an intense 2/3 hours but it is over quickly and then they are gone;). I am now getting greedy and taking on more children for more money:D

Only you can decide what you will be happy with but these are my experiences

lizzymoonshine
01-06-2008, 12:37 PM
hi

yes i would wait and see what happens and what comes along, then go from there.

:)

angeldelight
01-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I would wait and see what comes along

Good luck

Angel xx

jaja
01-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I have recently lost a full time lo and if you only rely on a full time you can lose alot of money all in one go if they decide to leave, plus your time is taken up in the day with mindees and not your own lo (i minded through both pregnacys and when both my los were weeks old) However if you mind before and after school you do need to make sure you plan around pick up times but you could earn as much as a full time and have children for only a few hours a day. Its worth waiting to see what comes along but remember that you need to make sure it works for you and your lo. good luck with whatever you decide to do. xxx

miffy
01-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I would wait and see what comes along

Good luck

Angel xx

I agree

Good luck

miffy xx

disney
01-06-2008, 06:17 PM
yes i think you need to see who calls . when i first started i wanted full times but i only had part times call me and to be honest it as all worked out well .and yes i make just as much money with them coming and going on a part time as i would full. and some of mine started out for a few hours but have graduly increases their hours so you never know :thumbsup: x

berkschick
01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I was full for under 5 within 6 weeks but I still have both 5 - 8 spaces free after school and all holidays and 1 before school free.

I just havent had any calls for the older age group. The school my kids go to has wrap around care so childminders arent really needed!

I would wait and see what happens when the phone starts to ring.

It will be nice for your LO to have a playmate during the day and in all honesty having 2 extra LOs hasnt stopped me spending time with my daughter. If anything, we get out and about more and have more fun!