PDA

View Full Version : Taking over little one from other CM

MagdalenaS
12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi
I want to ask if parents should request any paper work (observations) from the childminder who i am taking over. Maybe written description of the child? What would you expect to get? My new child was with this CM for more then 8 months.
Thank for any answers

butterfly
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I would expect the childminder to hand over the child's learning journey (in whatever form that may take) which the parent could then share with you.

I would be careful about how you ask for it though as you don't want to seem like you're lording it over a cm who may not have done any paperwork.

Maybe just ask the parent if the childminder kept any observations or learning records about the child.

blue bear
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
When I had lo go to new minder I rang new minder and asked what she would like. We agreed on letter of introduction, photo album of lo playing at mine (favourite things) and summative assessment.(parent written permission) I gave parent lj and diary and suggested it would be good for them to share
with new minder.

Could you ring old minder (parent permission ) and ask if there was anything she would like to share with you,either written or verbal to help you settle lo. During the call you could ask if she completed an lj or other form of written recording of lo development. Don't forget to write down what was said I. Phone call so you have something to show ofsted about you working with other settings.

Mouse
12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I have had children come to me from other childminders and have received nothing at all.

When a child of mine goes to someone new (another cm or nursery) I pass the LJ on to the parents along with a letter giving a round up of what the child has been doing. It is then up to them if they pass it onto the new person.

I did once pass a lot of info onto a new cm and she passed it all off as her own at her inspection!

onceinabluemoon
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I have had children come to me from other childminders and have received nothing at all.

When a child of mine goes to someone new (another cm or nursery) I pass the LJ on to the parents along with a letter giving a round up of what the child has been doing. It is then up to them if they pass it onto the new person.

I did once pass a lot of info onto a new cm and she passed it all off as her own at her inspection!

this would put me off giving the new cm anything, how annoying for you and how cheeky of her!!