PDA

View Full Version : School Runs - Taxi Firm????

SammyL
11-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I'm starting childminding soon with a friend. We will both be childminders but I am currently learning to drive & my friend doesn't drive.

We don't want this to affect the schools we can offer pick ups & drop offs to though.
Will be be able to hire a taxi / minibus & take the children to school in this as long as the driver is CRB checked & i'm presuming that we have to go with them - not that we wouldn't anyway!

Thanks in advance x

breezy
11-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Not sure? At first I thought, why not with parental permission and obviously you with them , but then I thought what about child car seats? So I'm not sure now! Sorry not much help! I take it you live too far from a school to walk?

butterfly
12-04-2012, 07:09 AM
This would definitely have to be with parents' permission. I would see where I stood with my public liability insurance too. I realise the taxi firm would have insurance but this wouldnt make me feel any better if (God forbid) there was an accident. I would be concerned about car seats too. As a parent of a little one I may feel unsure about putting my child in the hands of an unknown driver just to do a school run for someone else as well. I suppose it would be down to individual parents but in my experience a lot are a bit funny about their precious ones travelling in someone else's car anyway!

I would get as much as advice from anyone you can before you go ahead ie your support worker, Ofsted etc

Would it be worth having school age children if you have to pay out for taxis?

caz3007
12-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I have the same concerns as above and also what if the taxi didnt turn up, you would be stuck. Dont you have schools close to you. I have two about the same distance and if there was two of me could cover both. I personally would only do walking distance schools until you pass your test and then you could do one a bit further afield

C&A Childcare
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I work with my mum and we haven't taken on any school runs yets but, as she drives and I don't, we have discussed that I could walk to local schools and she could drive to any that are further away. I assume that this arrangement wouldn't suit your situation?

It depends what children you get but I would maybe hand out a permission form to parents stating that you intend to use taxis until you are able to drive yourself and check that this is okay.

I would also work out how much this would cost and consider if it is worth it. It might take a chunk out of your profits if it is just for school drop offs and pick ups.

rickysmiths
12-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I must say from a parents point of view this would be a very big no. If I took on the services of a childminder to deliver or collect my child I would expect just that. I could employ a taxi company myself. I would think if this is the only option one of you would have to travel in the taxi with the children and then return home with the car seats.

As a childminder I would consider this a nightmare and not worth the bother and cost in relation to the profit. If you traveled with the children you would probably only fit 2 children in. You might get different cars picking up and how would you know that the car seats would fit correctly in every car?

Sorry nightmare!

chez
12-04-2012, 07:19 PM
My understanding was that you dont need a car seat if you are in a taxi?

LauraS
12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
My understanding was that you dont need a car seat if you are in a taxi?

Perhaps not, legally, but that I'd take a dim view of any childminder who took one of my children in a taxi without one even as a one off emergency, let alone on a planned and daily basis. I can't imagine Ofsted/insurance would be happy either, as it's really dangerous.

SammyL
18-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your replies, perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer.

I too am a Mum & wouldn't dream of just putting a child in a taxi on their own, I or my co-minder would travel with them. A friend of mine is a taxi driver & has a mini bus - he is CRB checked, has 3 children of his own & lives next door but 3 to me.
He used to do the school run for his taxi firm but they have recently lost the contract & he is loking for something else to fill that section of his day. He has offered me a set rate & this would be very affordable.
I also have the necessary child seats etc for children of all ages.

I have schools within walking distance & both of our partners drive & due to the shifts they work would be able to drive if needed.
I was just seeing what people thought of the idea as one parent has asked me to care for her 2 children but the school they attend is too far to walk to. She is reluctant to leave her children with anyone she doesn't know & is struggling to come to terms with returning to work so i'm trying to find the best way to accommodate her needs with as little stress to her as possible.

Thank you for your help & views. Much appreciated.