PDA

View Full Version : depression advice

Diana67
11-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi everyone
I have suffered from depression in the past due to personal reasons the last time I was on medication was 2yrs ago just before I decided to take control of my life and become a childminder so I stopped taking my medication .I felt fine for a year and then started to feel done but thought no im not going back on medication and I got registered late Dec 2011 and was realy looking forward to starting new business but for last 6mths things have got worse I think its partly as I am not working and feel im letting my hubby down as 2yrs ago I had a good job but resigned just feel a failer and feel so miserable but I shouldnt be as I have a lovely hubby and family I have suffered depression for 10yrs on and off but I went to my dr this morning as my hubby has been worried that im not happy and always upset he said I need to go back on medication(Fluoxitine) and stay on it this time .I realy want to feel happier but im worried now that I wont be able to childmind Sorry Iv gone on just needed to get off my chest I just couldnt go no longer with help from dr .I have put so much time and effort into getting registered id hate it all to go to waste .Thanks for reading :( x

Diana

Katiekoo
11-04-2012, 03:19 PM
I have no real advice but I'm sure there are other Childminders on here who have suffered with depression who will be able to help. Wishing you all the best, hope you can continue :)

littlecheeks
11-04-2012, 03:31 PM
try not to worry about your depression effecting your childminding reg.
i am sure there are plenty of other people (me being one who suffered years ago) who have been in your position and still childmind. ofstead will probably just want to see it is under control. not working can make it get worse and it can take a little bit of time for some to get going with finding mindees.
one thing i will say is sometimes childminding can be a bit of a lonely job (contact with other adults i mean) so when you do get up and running try to join local childminding groups, playgroups and get chatting to other childminders around you.
try to stay positive, you have trained, your self employed and soon will be running your own business! personally i think that is something to be proud of! good luck and keep chatting x

Jiorjiina
11-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Go back on meds, if it will help you feel better.

I had depression a few years ago, and when I was down, I thought I was thinking straight, but I wasn't. And I didn't realise until I was on medication and feeling better how not straight I had been thinking (if that makes sense!)

With regards to Ofsted, I'm really hoping someone here will be able to tell you more than I can. My depression was flagged up during my health check for registration, and apart from going for a chat about it with second Dr it really wasn't a problem that I had been on medication, so I can't see why is should be a problem as long as it is not going to affect the children in your care.

Don't feel like a failure - you knew you needed some help so you took charge and went and got some. That isn't failing at all!

silvermist
11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I have no real advice but I'm sure there are other Childminders on here who have suffered with depression who will be able to help. Wishing you all the best, hope you can continue :)

Same goes from me hun, we are always here if you need to chat. Big hugs xx

ChocolateChip
11-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Can't speak from personal experience but my very good friend became a cm while she was on meds for depression after a messy divorce, her doctor actually said she thought cm would be good for her and give her something positive to focus on and it has! Ofsted didn't have a problem with it at all.
She still has her ups and downs but by and large she is much happier, she does occasionally go back on her 'happy pills' when she needs to so don't feel a failure hun, we all do what we need to do. My 'happy pill' happens to be chocolate, lol, needless to say I could do with losing a stone or two! We all cope in different ways and with different things. Life is like childbirth, you don't get a medal for managing it without pain relief, we take what support we need to get us through it. :thumbsup:

Diana67
12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone for support its nice to know iv got people to talk to :-) xx