PDA

View Full Version : Is this acceptable

kel1983
11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
We dont really have a soft play local to us and local leisure centre want lots of money for houur sessions.

The local brewers fayre pub has a funzone. Would it be acceptable to tke the children there? We would obviously not be drinking alcohol and if we decided to stay out for lunch we could have a mel there at a reasonable price. We would obviously check its ok with parents too

mama2three
11-04-2012, 12:36 PM
lots of these type of places do toddler mornings before the pub is even open - we used to go occasionally to our local brewers fayre. Would be worth checking out.

kel1983
11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
will have a look into that. Thanks

sarah707
11-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I have used play places in pubs before now - and sometimes we have stayed to eat.

It's lovely for the children and the benefits of the outing outweigh the down sides of them being in a pub.

Do a check before you go with the children you might find a separate door to the side so you don't have t walk through the pub.

Have fun! :D

Bridey
11-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Be very careful with this one. I understand a local childminder was reported to Ofsted recently for being seen in a pub with her mindees. I don't know any more than this but make sure you have written permission from parents etc to cover yourself.

flowerpots
11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
My closest soft play centre is in a pub and i sometimes take the children there, they have a side door so we just use that. :thumbsup:

Debster
11-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I cant see any problem with it just get a permission form signed you are obviously not going to drink alcohol I don't see it any different to say taking the kids to a resturant for lunch as alcohol would be served there too!

VeggieSausage
11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I personally wouldn't, why not go to the park if there isn't a soft play place - unless its pouring of course I think better than going to a pub.....my own children never went to a soft play centre so they aren't being deprived if they don't go.....

samb
12-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I have taken mine to 1 before and didn't think anything of it - just said we were going to a soft play place. I have quite a few within 30 minutes drive. I just thought it was nice to go to a different one and this particular one has separate areas for different ages but is all easily seen from the seating area unlike other huge ones and as i had 5 i wanted to see them all. It has a side entrance but I really don't see why it would be a problem?

Chimps Childminding
12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't see why it would be a problem either!!! TBH I can't see how Ofsted can say anything about taking a mindee to a pub, why can't you go out for lunch etc as long as it is ok with parents??? I could understand if the cm who was reported had been seen drinking alcohol whilst minding, but to be in a soft play area or having lunch surely would be ok :rolleyes:

Kezzle
12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
People store alcohol in their homes and it's not a problem so why should going into a public place that sells alcohol which is out of reach of children be any worse off?

leeloo1
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
People store alcohol in their homes and it's not a problem so why should going into a public place that sells alcohol which is out of reach of children be any worse off?

Possibly because at home you can (usually) guarantee that there won't be any drunk people hanging around, whereas at a pub there may well be some?

Unless the pub/bar was closed whilst you were at the session I'd think it'd be hard to justify taking the children to a pub... and... I'm probably wrong, but I thought that there was something in the regs to say we couldn't take the children to places where people were drinking/let them be around people who were drinking?

Edit:
Ok I'm not going mad... its on both compulsory and voluntart parts of the register:

CR1.8 Childminders must ensure that no person smokes, or consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on the individual’s ability to provide childcare) or alcohol:
- on the premises at any time while childcare is provided, or
- in the presence of a child receiving childcare.

mabel
13-04-2012, 07:09 AM
providing you have the correct risk assessment in place I cannot see it being a problem, you could also add that there will be no drinking of alcohol.

Kezzle
14-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Possibly because at home you can (usually) guarantee that there won't be any drunk people hanging around, whereas at a pub there may well be some?

Unless the pub/bar was closed whilst you were at the session I'd think it'd be hard to justify taking the children to a pub... and... I'm probably wrong, but I thought that there was something in the regs to say we couldn't take the children to places where people were drinking/let them be around people who were drinking?

Edit:
Ok I'm not going mad... its on both compulsory and voluntart parts of the register:

CR1.8 Childminders must ensure that no person smokes, or consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on the individual’s ability to provide childcare) or alcohol:
- on the premises at any time while childcare is provided, or
- in the presence of a child receiving childcare.

Aha. well with that one last sentence then i would say that maybe it's not the best idea if the pubs open for business other than soft play.

Personally i would never take them to a pub in any case my previous post was just pointing out a fact that both homes and pubs store alcohol.

curlywurly
14-04-2012, 08:14 PM
So if this is the case does that mean that we cannot take the children out for lunch to a place that serves alcohol.

I think if this is the case it's ridiculous. I used to be a nanny for 18 years and I took the children out for lunch sometimes. It's important socially that children experience eating in a restaurant and quite often we were praised for such well behaved and well mannered children.

I think the world has gone crazy!!!!
:):)

Chimps Childminding
14-04-2012, 08:20 PM
So if this is the case does that mean that we cannot take the children out for lunch to a place that serves alcohol.

I think if this is the case it's ridiculous. I used to be a nanny for 18 years and I took the children out for lunch sometimes. It's important socially that children experience eating in a restaurant and quite often we were praised for such well behaved and well mannered children.

I think the world has gone crazy!!!!
:):)

Couldn't agree more!!! :thumbsup:

blue bear
14-04-2012, 09:24 PM
So we can't go to te chinese restaurant anymore , the last inspector was so impressed I took the children too.