PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider this inappropriate language from a 3 year old?

jumpinjen
11-04-2012, 08:17 AM
My 3 1/2 yo mindee was talking to my own children this morning about a 'ghost trying to stab her daddy but couldn't cos he didn't have a knife' and telling them that ghosts chase people and go through walls to get them. I'm not best pleased as I haven't allowed this kind of content through our 'family firewalls' yet. A few weeks ago she was telling them that 'rasta man killed all the mummy's children and then daddy killed rasta man' and she was scared. I brought up the rasta man thing with mum as I was equally disturbed that time about the content she was talking about and the questions it caused in my own children (ie - why would someone kill a mummy's children? Will someone kill us? etc). mum was unable to get to the bottom of it (Mum and Dad are separated) and wasn't pleased either.

My question -am I overreacting and is it that I am in the minority protecting my children from this kind of content? if not - what else should I be doing about it?

jen x

mama2three
11-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I cant remember how old your children are jen?
I wouldnt like it , but would just try and steer the conversation away to something nicer! Id tell my children its just pretend in a film , just like when ..( whichever they relate to..) happens in whichever film..
Unfortunately it sounds like mindee either sees films which arent really appropriate for his age , or hears and plays with older children. Once he is at school this will be more common too..
we'd all like to protect our children but they will start to have more and more outside influences as they grow. the best we can do is make them feel safe secure and protected , be honest with them and they will learn to deal with the 'not so nice ' parts of life.

Katiekoo
11-04-2012, 08:25 AM
That is quite violent language, and disturbing stories.
Sadly it looks like Dad might be exposing child to computer games/films etc - just a guess of course! The child could be getting this elsewhere (maybe overhearing older children - are there siblings?) or have a vivid imagination! If you and Mum think it could be Dad's influence, it's up to Mum to sort it I'd think.

SYLVIA
11-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Those stories sound a little worrying. Maybe she has seen something elsewhere and is talking about it to find confirmation from others that its right. I would add that my partners grand daughter has an extremely active imagination and in fact the pre school have suggested she has counselling to help her distinguish between real and make believe.

Mouse
11-04-2012, 01:01 PM
I agree with what others have said, it sounds as if the child is exposed to games or films that are showing this type of thing. Have you tried asking where they've heard it, or why they think that?
I think I would tell them that you don't like to hear things like that and don't want them talking about it at your house. I have sibling mindees who have always been fascinated by death and talk about it an awful lot. I say to them that they might frighten the younger children and I don't want to hear them talking about it. I don't try the gentle approach, I tell them firmly, do not talk about dying when you are with me.

As for your own children, I would tell them that mindee has been watching a film that shows silly things like that and that it's not real. Unfortunately you're not going to be able to protect them from these things forever, but you can do within your own home.