PDA

View Full Version : No Shows! Why do they do it? Is it really my flat?

JMcG
10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm a fairly new childminder, and have recently been advertising a full time space. I have no problem with getting enquiries through. Usually from my website, with lots of positive comments about the website and asking to see me asap. Every time I get my hopes up, get all organised for the visit and then wait for them to arrive.... 3 times in a row now they just haven't turned up. No word about why, an apology or anything. Its strange... its RUDE!

Each time I have emailed saying 'Sorry you could not make it. If you would like to rearrange please get in touch.' Still nothing. The last time though I also said that I'm trying to set my business up and if there was any particular reason as to why they didn't show could they let me know? The reply was: 'when you gave me your address I noticed its a flat'.

So great for some honestly, but really its not an excuse to just not show up and not say anything. They could be honest or even make up an excuse rather than leave me sitting there like a lemon. And its hurtful to think that sucha small thing coudl put them off, I have so much to give as a childminder!

So action plan is to be upfront when giving out my address and explaining that we are ground floor, have out own private entrance with a lawned garden area where we grow veg and flowers. We are 5/10 mins walk to the river, several parks, a nature reserve and playgroups, the library, childrens centres etc etc.

Any other idea?

Tatjana
10-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately there are alot of inconsiderate, rude people out there.

Perhaps you could put all that on your website, that way they'll know everything and only phone you if they're happy with what you're offering.

alwaysright
10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
i was also going to suggest that you put that info on your website about you live in a ground floor flat, obviously not the name of the road or anything and then they know before contacting you

flowerpots
11-04-2012, 05:21 AM
I agree, put all the info on your website. Its a common thing for people to just not turn up, when I was advertising spaces people did it to me quite alot too. :rolleyes:

CH1957
11-04-2012, 07:04 AM
As others have said, there are a lot of rude people out there. Ive been let down umpteen times but Ive now decided that if they are like that then they are not the sort of people I want to work with anyway! :D

mama2three
11-04-2012, 07:16 AM
It could bad luck , lots of us have had no shows , people havent got the manners to let us know theyve decided to .place lo with granny / nursery/ friend..not go back to work..didnt like the look of the street..whatever.

But as the only feedback you have had related to the fact you have a flat..then sell it as a positive on your website..large ground floor flat , everything on the same level ( much better imo for toilet / sleeping areas to be on same level!) , opening onto our private garden...

Lots of photos if you have them , then the parents who contact you from the site know exactly what to expect.

rickysmiths
11-04-2012, 09:08 AM
It could be bad luck there are a lot of rude people out there.

I started minding in a flat, a first floor flat with no garden and I minded there for 10 years.

Bridey
11-04-2012, 09:10 AM
As it has been pointed out as a 'barrier', I would definitely agree with explaining your accommodation situation when you give out the address. When I'm on the phone making arrangements for a parent to visit I am quite chatty and explain a few things before they arrive ... including the fact that I have cats. It would be a waste of their time coming if their child is allergic for example.

butterfly
11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I agree with everyone else. I advertise as much as possible on my website so that people know pretty much everything before phoning up. I once had a family turn up and wouldnt come in because of the dog (i hadnt mentioned it on the site) so now i make sure everything's clear. My attitude is tell them everything and if they dont like it for a particular reason that's up to them!

Rosy Days
11-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi, your setting sounds lovely, I would definitely promote it the way you have on your post as it sounds fab x people are rude though, there is no excuse x

lulubelle
12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
some people are so rude, i have had a few no shows to, one today! luckily dad did text and postpone but was kind of annoying as my own lo was very poorly with his asthma last night so we were up and down all night then spent the day trying to clean and tidy (i am not working this week) with a poorly lo and they text at 4pm when they are due to arrive and say can i come next week!

Monkey26
12-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I minded for the first 4 years in a ground floor flat :) I had something like "my partner and I live in a spacious ground floor flat with an enclosed private garden area" on my website - cant remember exact wording as now in a house!! Xx

JMcG
12-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your feedback everyone, I think I was just having a bad day. I just can't believe how rude people can be. And so true that if they're that rude before I've even met them then I certainly don't want to be working with them.

I'm going to add the info to my website with lots of lovely piccies, hopefully that will help :)

Xx

Kezzle
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
So action plan is to be upfront when giving out my address and explaining that we are ground floor, have out own private entrance with a lawned garden area where we grow veg and flowers. We are 5/10 mins walk to the river, several parks, a nature reserve and playgroups, the library, childrens centres etc etc.

Any other idea?

They would have been the first things i would (and have on my own advertising area's) mentioned! To me thats valuable information :)

VINASOL
12-04-2012, 06:18 PM
The thing you have to remember is that there will be someone who isn't rude and judgemental and it may take a wee while but it'll happen...before I became I minder I visited a minder for my DD...she lived in a first floor flat, had a very small front room (only play area), even tinier kitchen than mine and she had children that she minded already...she wasn't my choice, but she was for someone; had she lived in a ground floor flat I probably would have...I didn't like the outside, but you know I still went in because you can't judge a book....like other posters have said, be upfront in your description - it sounds lovely; make it positive. I've had similiar things because I live in a glorified 2up/2down (terrace cottage) that is very old and very quirky. Some people like it, some don't.

Good luck - you'll be working in no timexxx