PDA

View Full Version : Confused about funding - Welsh childminder enquiry

rsw1990
10-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi all, I'm waiting for my local family information service to get back to be about doing a childminding course, I am already qualified to level 3, and currently work part time as a nursery nurse, so I already have level 3 and first aid. I know this may sound a bit dopey but i'm getting a bit confused with everything. I live in Wales so i have to register with the Cssiw , can I do this before I've started the course or must i complete the course first also I'm confused about funding as people have mentioned funding but I'm unsure asto what exactly it's for?? Can I get help towards the course fees and I've heard you can get grants but what are they for?? Im just unsure of what financial help is available to me basically. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rachel xx

Npg1
11-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Hi.

I just thought I would share with you what I have been advised, I am in Essex. My CCOC cant give me any details on the fund at the moment because of the end of the financial year. I have been advised to send my forms off to Ofsted but once I do this I cant apply for the fund. I also need to be registered by end of july. Im in a dilema as wil have to pay for all my start up costs when I have been told I should be able to get a grant because thwere is a demand in my area.

Is there a demand in your area for a childminder? Have you done some market research?

Also have you completed the course?

mama2three
11-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum!
Things are very different in Wales , Im sure some of our fab welsh members will be along to answer soon.

manjay
11-04-2012, 09:28 AM
First of all welcome to our lovely forum:thumbsup:

You may find if you have a question specific to Wales that posting in the CSSIW section of the forum will get you more response:thumbsup:

In Wales each LA is different but across the country you have to have completed and passed your initial training before you submit your application to CSSIW. Your first aid also needs to be done before but you should be ok with that if yours is in date.

You do really need to wait for your FIS to get back to you to let you know what is available for childminders in your area. In some LA's you will get your initial training funded plus a small start up grant but in others it all has to be funded yourself. Or if you let us know which county you are in there may be someone on here from your area who has recently registered and can help.

Good luck xx

tulip0803
11-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Even if you are level 3 qualified you will still need to the basic childminding training as it covers things that are specific to childminding.

I moved from England to Wales and was a registered childminder before I moved but I still had to attend a breifing session with CSSIW to tell me about becoming a childminder:laughing:. AND they ummed and ahhed about me doing the introductory course again:rolleyes:

Most areas of Wales require that you have done all compulsory & pre-reg courses before you can submit an application form to CSSIW.

As Manjay says the local authority are the ones with funding but due to financial constraints a lot are cutting back. Probably even more now as we are in a new financial year:(. They will give you all the information that you need.

Pob luc

rsw1990
11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, and also thanks for moving my post to the right topic (sorry about that :blush: )
Ive been waiting for my FIS to get back to me for weeks, may try phoning them tomorrow maybe that will get me a bit further.
There is demand in my area for childminders (Which is Blaenau Gwent by the way)
I just can't wait to get onto the course so I can start sorting things out.

Anyone know of anyone in the Blaenau gwent area on here I could ask?

Thanks for you help

Rachel xx

P.S Is there a board to introduce yourself on here?? I did look but can't find one... :) xx

jelly15
11-04-2012, 09:16 PM
P.S Is there a board to introduce yourself on here?? I did look but can't find one... :) xx[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum here is a link to the Hello threads

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Langaleah
14-12-2012, 04:13 PM
hay rachael im from blaenau gwent, did u get it sorted? iv just qualified, and im in the middle of filling my forms for cssiw...
message me if you like
Leah xx