Egg decorating for older kids...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,864
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Egg decorating for older kids...

    Just thought I would share...

    At our monthly nature club last week the theme was 'eggs'. After going on a walk around the woods and pond to look for various nests/eggs, the children went back to base to decorate some eggs. Like most of us, I've done this every year since forever, but I've always gone down the art and craft route.

    However, as it was 'nature club' the focus was more on learning/science. The leader had made various eggs out of quick drying clay. She had made them to size - we had robins eggs, blackbirds, blue tits etc. She also did them in the correct shape - I had never realised that there was such a variation in shape as well as size - some were rounder than others etc. which inspired a great discussion amongst the kids. She had downloaded pictures of the eggs showing the true colours/patterns. The children then chose some of the eggs and tried to paint them in the correct colours. They spent ages on it and were really focused. Most of them had only ever seen hens eggs and assumed that all eggs looked like them. It was a fantastic learning experience.

    The children were about 6 years and over.

  2. Likes FloraDora, Mouse, BallyH liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,604
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That sounds wonderful!

    We often find bird egg shells in our garden and the children are always fascinated. They're never whole shells, but they're enough for us to be able to look to identify.

  4. Likes Maza liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,864
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That sounds wonderful!

    We often find bird egg shells in our garden and the children are always fascinated. They're never whole shells, but they're enough for us to be able to look to identify.
    That sounds fantastic Mouse! I wish we would find interesting stuff in our garden. The only things we find are fox poo and stuff that the foxes have stolen and brought to our garden to chew to bits. A couple of years ago we were laughing at our neighbour (nice neighbour) who had to clear up a soiled nappy from his garden that the fox had torn to shreds.. We were laughing (in a neighbourly way) because the fox had had to walk through our garden to get to his and we were so thankful that they tore it up in his garden and not ours. (We didn't have any kids in nappies so it wasn't one of ours). Karma -a couple of weeks ago and it was our garden.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,604
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    That sounds fantastic Mouse! I wish we would find interesting stuff in our garden. The only things we find are fox poo and stuff that the foxes have stolen and brought to our garden to chew to bits. A couple of years ago we were laughing at our neighbour (nice neighbour) who had to clear up a soiled nappy from his garden that the fox had torn to shreds.. We were laughing (in a neighbourly way) because the fox had had to walk through our garden to get to his and we were so thankful that they tore it up in his garden and not ours. (We didn't have any kids in nappies so it wasn't one of ours). Karma -a couple of weeks ago and it was our garden.
    Karma indeed!

    We don't get too much fox poo in the garden, despite their frequent visits. They do cause us problems though - they recently tried to dig up our dead cat and 3 of them have come into the garden to die! It's a real pain having to dispose of their bodies!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,864
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Karma indeed!

    We don't get too much fox poo in the garden, despite their frequent visits. They do cause us problems though - they recently tried to dig up our dead cat and 3 of them have come into the garden to die! It's a real pain having to dispose of their bodies!
    Oh my goodness! I'll never moan about the nappies again!

  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,864
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mouse, I was telling DD about you finding egg shells in your garden and she started the whole "It's not fair, we never find anything interesting in our garden...". Guess what we found this morning - egg shell! We were both so chuffed!

  9. Likes Mouse liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,604
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Mouse, I was telling DD about you finding egg shells in your garden and she started the whole "It's not fair, we never find anything interesting in our garden...". Guess what we found this morning - egg shell! We were both so chuffed!
    That's brilliant! I just hope you don't find the dead foxes now as well

  11. Likes Maza liked this post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Egg decorating for older kids... Egg decorating for older kids... Egg decorating for older kids...

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they donít tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk