Likes Likes:  54
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help please, ofsted action!!

Hi everyone, I had my first graded inspection 2 weeks ago, which wasn't the most positive of days, anyway today by email i had my report with the following action in to be completed by tomorrow!!!!
    action-'develop the programme for literacy by: ensuring the learning environment is rich in print so children can learn about words for example, by using signs, labelling of toys and posters.' It said that this is a legal requirement of the EYFS.

First is the labeling of things a legal requirement???? The inspector mentioned it would be good to do this at my inspection but at NO point did she say it was a legal requirement, that I was breaching it or that I would get an action on this.

Am frantically trying to sort this for tomorrow. Am seriously over childminding 9 weeks in!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated, I want to ring tomorrow. I feel this is a very silly action to have over me?????

Thanks

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't want to read and run, but I 've never heard of it being a legal requirement, and I certainly don't have labels everywhere, where the fun in exploring if you have a label telling you whats in there, load of tosh, I have writing bits around, laminated name cards they can draw on or trace over and they have a ton of books and other bits, but no labels in my house.

Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I thought was a bit silly to give this an action, the eyfs says this:-
    "Literacy-
    development involves encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin to read and write. Children must be given access to a wide range of reading materials (books, poems, and other written materials) to ignite their interest. "

I have books, word cards etc etc, does it say label toys here??!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The inspector is not saying it is a legal requirement to have labels on things.

S/he is saying that it is a legal requirement for children to be in a print rich environment.

You need to think about all the ways you encourage children to access literacy - visits to the library, lots of magazines / comics / books, making cards, mark making materials out for children to use, name labels for them to copy, signing in sheets, hello and goodbye posters, notice board for them to display their mark making, letter games etc.

Make a list and say 'this is what I do to encourage literacy'... I also intend, for the future, to ... then waffle on about buying some new dual language books or something.

Hope this helps

5. Likes zippy, Twinkles, mum24, loocyloo, lynnfi, dette liked this post
    Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, it just said I wasn't meeting a legal requirement and suggested things such as I label toys! I have a cupboard of books which the children accessed whilst she was there, posters up in the room, welcome sign, marking making accessible but I guess its not enough! I will follow what you said thanks for replying!

BucksCM Guest

I guess I'll be "marked down" then!!
    What a load of !!
    I have not and will not EVER be labelling my toy boxes! Or covering my walls with posters! Or putting up signs in my house!
    Note i didn't call it a setting...it's not...it's my house!

Aaaarrrgghhhh!!!
    ofsted!!!

Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCM View Post
    I guess I'll be "marked down" then!!
    What a load of !!
    I have not and will not EVER be labelling my toy boxes! Or covering my walls with posters! Or putting up signs in my house!
    Note i didn't call it a setting...it's not...it's my house!

Aaaarrrgghhhh!!!
    ofsted!!!
    Thanks, funny the other childminders i have spoken too have said the same kind of thing. I have just reread my report and I feel so low about childminding, am doing up more labels today. I dont want my house to resemble a nursery either, but obviously books, word games etc are not enough!

BucksCM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sam411 View Post
    Thanks, funny the other childminders i have spoken too have said the same kind of thing. I have just reread my report and I feel so low about childminding, am doing up more labels today. I dont want my house to resemble a nursery either, but obviously books, word games etc are not enough!
    Just because ofsted told you, you really don't HAVE to label boxes! If you can prove that contrary to what the inspector thought they didn't see, that you DO provide opportunities for the children to see the written word, then you'll cover it.
    The written word is everywhere and as cm we do expose the children to it, even when we're not "thinking" about it...I won't bother listing as the list is extensive!!
    My children know what's in the boxes in my playroom as some are see through. the ones that aren't, i sometimes swap around as they love to explore and will play with things that haven't been played with just because they are in a different position on the shelves! or in a different box! And anyway, I know for sure that my lo at 15 and 24 months can't read yet...so who IS the label for??
    My children would not benefit from having signs, it would take away the opportunity to explore and work out where things are, it would stop them using their brains to work these things out...and I don't want to make the young children in my care use their brains less...I want to encourage thinking for them selves and problem solving...even if it only to solve which box I have now put the ducks in!
    OK...got children arriving in a mo...got to get off this box...and calm down!!
    Have a label free day y'all!!

10. Likes Kirstylob liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be a recurring issue under the new EYFS Inspections. I have heard of a cm being told in their report that they didn't get and outstanding for the very reasons given above, almost word for word. I wonder if it is the same inspector?

I recommend you do a carefully written complaint about this and as Sarah suggests list all the ways you comply with EYFS requirements and how this was clearly demonstrated during your inspection. If it is the same inspector the other cm is complaining so it will show up at the inspectors office and should be addressed if she/he are being over zealous in their interpretation of this part of EYFS.

I know it is hard especially for a new cm. However bear in mind that Ofsted Inspectors are not God they are a human being just like you and me doing a job every day to earn a crust.

Their word is not always final, it can be changed and they are not allowed to impose their own individual pet likes or hates on you and these must ALWAYS be challenged in writing. If we all don't do this every time then nothing will ever change and these little controlling whatsits will never be brought to book.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no!!!!

I had a box of labels which I'd labelled "labels" so I'd always know where the label box is.

Today I found the "labels" label from the labels box on the floor. The "labels" label must've fallen off the labels box, so now the labels box is unlabelled.

How will I ever find my unlabelled labels box of labels?

What can I do?

Will Ofsted downgrade me?

Help!!!!!

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, as long as you have plenty of access to writing/mark making/reading etc do you really need labels to? None of my toy boxes have written labels, they have photo's on them so that the children know which toys go in which box at tidy up time. Most of my children can't read so toy boxes labelled aren't going to help them yet.
    Try not to worry, you will be fine.

14. Likes Chimps Childminding liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have made enquiries and written the following advice for Sam411 and other childminders who have concerns about actions received after their inspections -

Ofsted inspection outcomes - how to deal with them

I hope you find it useful

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Oh no!!!!

I had a box of labels which I'd labelled "labels" so I'd always know where the label box is.

Today I found the "labels" label from the labels box on the floor. The "labels" label must've fallen off the labels box, so now the labels box is unlabelled.

How will I ever find my unlabelled labels box of labels?

What can I do?

Will Ofsted downgrade me?

Help!!!!!

I love you Bunyip. You make me laugh so much.

17. Likes CH1957 liked this post
    Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, sorry haven't been on for a while but thank you for all the helpful replies to this, much appreciated!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCM View Post
    Just because ofsted told you, you really don't HAVE to label boxes! If you can prove that contrary to what the inspector thought they didn't see, that you DO provide opportunities for the children to see the written word, then you'll cover it.
    The written word is everywhere and as cm we do expose the children to it, even when we're not "thinking" about it...I won't bother listing as the list is extensive!!
    My children know what's in the boxes in my playroom as some are see through. the ones that aren't, i sometimes swap around as they love to explore and will play with things that haven't been played with just because they are in a different position on the shelves! or in a different box! And anyway, I know for sure that my lo at 15 and 24 months can't read yet...so who IS the label for??My children would not benefit from having signs, it would take away the opportunity to explore and work out where things are, it would stop them using their brains to work these things out...and I don't want to make the young children in my care use their brains less...I want to encourage thinking for them selves and problem solving...even if it only to solve which box I have now put the ducks in!
    OK...got children arriving in a mo...got to get off this box...and calm down!!
    Have a label free day y'all!!
    I said exactly the same thing a few years back and I was told "they may not be able to read but I bet they recognise the M for McDonalds and know what it is" and it is true so if anyone is doing labels, do pictures too
    Debbie

20. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I said exactly the same thing a few years back and I was told "they may not be able to read but I bet they recognise the M for McDonalds and know what it is" and it is true so if anyone is doing labels, do pictures too
    I have just had Trio Childcare at my house to help me prepare for my first OFSTED inspection. They also said the same thing, that I need to label all my boxes and have postered and letters/words on the wall to provide a print rich environment. They said I would be marked down if I did not do this x

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have labelled boxes, but just looked up and seen my bookcases and I have books with their titles showing and a load of boxes of puzzles and games with their names showing. Does that count towards Print Rich

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    I dont have labelled boxes, but just looked up and seen my bookcases and I have books with their titles showing and a load of boxes of puzzles and games with their names showing. Does that count towards Print Rich
    Yes it does!

I came across this link the other day which might inspire

Print-rich Classroom Environment

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Yes it does!

I came across this link the other day which might inspire

Print-rich Classroom Environment
    I just have to remember that when I get inspected, in case Mrs O gives me that for an action.

Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    I had the cupboard full of books open, which the children bought to me to read, but that didn't count obviously lol. Also had games/toys with names on, again not enough. My labels now all have photos with the word with it.